0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2018 2:34 AM by Thomas Massie

Dual axis filtering with blended data sources

Thomas Massie

Hey guys,

I came across the following issue:

I have two data sets, one containing information about german zip codes (population data etc.), and one containing customer data (addresses etc.). I want to create a map that shows zip code tiles displaying population info (1st axis), and overlay these tiles with customer information (2nd axis). The 1st layer/axis is based on generated lon/lat data, the 2nd layer/axis is based on custom lon/lat data. Both data sets are joined by zip code. ANd here come the issue: When I apply a filter based on a customer dimension, all tiles not included in the filter disappear. I understand that because both data sets are joined by zip code.

I had the idea  that I could avoid that issue by duplicating the entire data source (joined data sets), rebuild the 1st layer/axis from the original data source, and build the 2nd layer from the duplicated data source. If both data sources are blended by a variable other than zip code (a variable not important here) I thought could filter the data on the 2nd layer/axis without affecting the 1st one. Unfortunately, that doesn't work .The second axis does not show any information. I would be super happy if someone could help me with that as this is something I will come across quite often.

Question 1: In a dual axis map, how can I filter the 2nd axis without affecting the 1st one?

Question 2: Is blending the solution, and if so, why isn't it working with me?

Question 3: Is there any solution other than duplicating and blending as I thought?

I attached a workbook describing the blending issue with the European Superstore data set, only showing Germany. I cannot show any customer data. However, I hope that this gives an idea about what I'm struggling with.

Many thanks in advance!