2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2018 12:26 PM by Lincoln Salmon

How to Allow Users to Sort by Different Dimensions?

Chad Clauson

I'm creating a tab for my data table so if my users want to see the data behind the issues on the first tab, they can. The problem is that it won't let me sort my dimensions.

I have 8 different columns and a "Blank Text" calculated field for my text so I can hide it.

Columns are Key #, Sent Dt, Rcvd Dt, Code Type, Code Number, Target System Route, and Code Amount. When clicking on the sort button, nothing happens. Ideally, I'd like my users to be able to sort ascending or descending for each column whether it be alphabetically (Key #, Code Type, Target System Route) or numerically (Code Number, Code Amount) or by date (Sent Dt, Rcvd Dt) by clicking the sort button on each of the labels. I've tried creating a parameter but that doesn't seem to work properly either. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: How to Allow Users to Sort by Different Dimensions?
          Brandon Kidwell

Hello Chad,

Without seeing your workbook I'm going to make some assumptions but I think this should work.

Step 1

Create a Parameter, we can call it Parameter Sort

Next Create a calculated field, we can call it Sort Calculation

Next, add this Sort Calculation to your rows shelf as the first pill.

Now the Parameter is sorting based upon the column selected.  Now the end-user can sort dynamically depending upon which column they would like either ascending or descending.

You can hide the column to clean it up.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Brandon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to Allow Users to Sort by Different Dimensions?
            Lincoln Salmon

I've had the same problem... I'd prefer if Tableau were just able to do this on its own, but great workaround, Brandon. Quick question: You said the end-user can sort ascending or descending? I've used your method and it is working fine, but so far I can only sort ascending by all the fields I'm using. How do I give the end-user the ability to determine which way they want the data sorted?

Thanks,

Lincoln