0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2018 8:09 AM by Angus Helm

JS API: getAppliedValues no longer returning complete set of values in 2018.2

Angus Helm

We’re using the Tableau JS API to display dashboards and to control the filters on those dashboards. In particular we’re using CategoricalFilters and the getAppliedValues function.

Our goal is to get the complete set of filter values that can be selected in the CategoricalFilter. As far as I can tell getAppliedValues is the only appropriate JS API function for this. This was working alright but when we upgraded to Tableau 2018.2 the behavior changed:

In Tableau 10.5 our dashboards initially load with all filter values selected, and getAppliedValues returns the complete set of values. If I unselect some of the filter values and refresh the page, a new Viz is created. The new Viz again loads with all filter values selected, and getAppliedValues again returns the complete set of values.

In Tableau 2018.2 the dashboards load correctly the first time, but if I unselect some filter values and refresh the page, the new Viz retains the memory of which values are unselected. The getAppliedValues function only returns the subset of values that were selected before the page refresh.

Is there a way to change the behavior of the Viz to reset its filters on a reload, or is there another way to get the complete list of filter values, besides getAppliedValues?