3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2018 2:32 AM by Yuriy Fal

Histograms with limits

Ivan Johansson

Hi,

I have asked this question before but no answer so far has been acceptable or a solution for me. I have attached a workbook.

What I need is to have a histogram for each Quantityname   with the respective limits included in the diagram. I have been able to add a second axis, a dual axis but then I can't syncronize them.

• 1. Re: Histograms with limits
          Yuriy Fal

Hi Ivan,

You couldn't do Synchronize Axis if Pills are of different Data Type.

The [Value (bin)] pill is an INTEGER, while the Value is FLOATING POINT --

a Number (Decimal) as defined in Tableau.

You can change a date type for the [Value] to a Number (Whole),

or use a calculation like INT( [Value] ) or even INT( ROUND( [Value] ) )

for the [Value] Dimension Pill in Columns to have the ability to Sync.

You can't do any changes to the Tableau-generated [Value (Bin)] Pill, though.

BTW, the problem has been solved

(the Sync behaviour has been changed)

in the recent versions of Tableau.

Yours,

Yuri

• 2. Re: Histograms with limits
            Ivan Johansson

Thanks Yuri!

I don't know when it was fixed but when I tried it again in the new version - IT WORKED!!

Now, I'm stuck with the one remaining problem to adopt the bin sizes automatically. The bin sizes can be modified with parameter but I havent found a way to do it with code...

Regards, Ivan

• 3. Re: Histograms with limits
              Yuriy Fal

Hi Ivan,

Glad it helped.

Regarding your 'remaining problem', the calculation could be written

that would have the same values as the Tableau-generated Bin pill.

INT( [Value] / [Parameters].[Bin Size] ) * [Parameters].[Bin Size]

Bin Size is usually a Parameter, but it could be a (Row-Level) Calc as well.

Yours,

Yuri