9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2018 3:52 PM by swaroop.gantela

Radial Pie Chart Problems

Teresa Wright

I am a Tableau 10.5 desktop user trying to build a radial pie chart following a video I found online.  I am able to format my data and create calculated fields, but half way through building the chart I am getting errors.  I'm hoping someone can tell me where I'm making mistakes.  I have attached a twbx file and screen shots below.

I am trying to build something like this but with 4 rings

scren shot 2.jpg

Here's my data

screen shot 1.jpg

At Step 3 -- When I change the X and Y to compute using the Path Bin, I am not getting the inner ring as shown in the video

screen shot 3.jpg

Step 4:  I am able to change the chart type to polygon, but it does not look the same (most noticeable on lower left quadrant).

Step 5:  When I place the "Index" measure to the Path on the Marks card, the viz disappears completely.

screen shot 4.jpg

• 1. Re: Radial Pie Chart Problems
          swaroop.gantela

Teresa,

I think there was a typo in the X and Y calcs.

The last few * signs should be +

IF [Index]< 270 THEN

SIN([Index]*[WC_Percentage]*[WC_PI]/180)*[WC_Start]

ELSEIF [Index]> 270 THEN

SIN((540-[Index])*[WC_Percentage]*[WC_PI]/180)*([WC_Start]    +    1)

ELSE

SIN(([Index]*[WC_Percentage]+3)*[WC_PI]/180)*([WC_Start]    +  0.5)

END

I went past that point, but the order of bars seemed off.

Please see workbook v10.5 attached in the Forum Thread.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Radial Pie Chart Problems
            Teresa Wright

Thank you Swaroop!  I corrected my calculations and the chart did appear.  Like you, my circles are not sorting from smallest in center to largest in outer ring.  Does anyone have ideas why this would be happening?  I am pasting a link below to the video I watched.  Could it be the data must be sorted in a specific order before you try to build the viz?

TABLEAU RADIAL PIE GAUGE CHART TUTORIAL - YouTube

Expected Result:

screen shot 1.jpg

My Result

scren shot 2.jpg

• 3. Re: Radial Pie Chart Problems
              swaroop.gantela

Teresa,

It does appear that the arrangement has been predetermined in the datasource by the [Order Field].

I wrote a calculated field to rearrange them by rank:

RANK(MAX([Expense]),'asc')

I replaced the [Order] references with this rank

(using right-click, replace references).

This had a table calculation setting of

Compute Using: Program.

These are nested in the tablecalc settings for x and y as well

and needed to be likewise set to Program.

This is described more in this link:

Tableau Rings - Toan Hoang

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Radial Pie Chart Problems
                Teresa Wright

Thank you Swaroop for your suggestions which helped me create the desired radial pie chart.

Ta Da!

screen shot 1.jpg

Here is the You Tube Video that started it all.  Very good instructions, however the video was out of focus when I expanded to full screen.  Nevertheless, it is the best set of instructions I found for a "non-math person" such as myself.

TABLEAU RADIAL PIE GAUGE CHART TUTORIAL - YouTube

I would also note that the radial pie requires making a duplicate copy of your data.  This doubled my Expense data, so I needed an additional calculated field to use for my labels.

scren shot 2.jpg

screen shot 3.jpg

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Radial Pie Chart Problems
                  swaroop.gantela

Teresa,

Glad you achieved your desired chart.

All the best.

• 6. Re: Radial Pie Chart Problems
                    Damien Mercer

Hello, I am having a radial pie chart issue.  I have everything working correctly except for the coloring.  I created the chart slightly different in order for the chart to be dynamic when adjusting a filter.  The problem that I have is that the coloring doesn't adjust correctly.  The acceptance rate is showing correctly but the offer rate is not.  The measure values are driving the color which is pct2 and remainder2.  I think I need to create a calculated field but not sure what the calculation should be or maybe I need to do something entirely different.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 7. Re: Radial Pie Chart Problems
                      swaroop.gantela

Damien,

My apologies, I wasn't able to mock up your screenshot.

Would you be able to post a simplified version of your workbook with fake data?

• 8. Re: Radial Pie Chart Problems
                        Damien Mercer

Sure, attached is some dummy data.  The version attached looks good when only 1 program is selected.  When multiple programs are selected, the color and graphs get very messy.  The graphs look cool but I need to be able to select more than 1 program and have the graphs update appropriately.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

• 9. Re: Radial Pie Chart Problems
                          swaroop.gantela

Damien,

Thanks for the sample workbook; it is a cool looking visualization.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track, but it felt to me that I needed to

add [Program] to the detail shelf. It seemed like otherwise the pie parts

were overlapping?

For the color, I added [Bigness] to the color shelf which allowed a separate

color for Accept and Offer.

A problem arose with the Offer Rate label on the Text shelf.

If it is set as a Dimension, I think that it only showing one offer rate.

As an Attribute, it shows multiple rates, but it also labels the Remainder parts.

Because the is coming off of Measure Values, we can't separately

say only show the label for the [pct2] part.

One possible way to handle this might be if the Pct and Remainder could be

pivoted into one column. Then we could tell it to label only one Pivot Field Name.

But it will take a few extra steps to get the pie working (namely an LOD for the Remainder).

I wasn't able to connect to the datasource, but do you think pivoting might be a possibility?

285112radial.png