6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2018 7:56 PM by arvindgarg

How to Change a Blank Field Based on Condition

Lisa Geller

Hi All,

I deal with data from an Emergency Department - I cannot attach my data source as it contains patient information, but I am hoping someone can help me.

I have a field in my data called "Disposition", which tells me where the patient went after their ER visit was completed.  It contains values such as 'Admitted', 'Home', or 'Observed'. 

Occasionally the field is completely blank; however It is easy to figure out if the blank should either read "Admitted" "Home" or "Observed" based on other fields in my data

For example

if the "Disposition" Field is blank but there is a date or time in the "Admit Date/Time" field then the blank "Disposition" Field should actually read "Admitted"

if the "Disposition" field is blank but there is a "Y" in the "observation" field then the blank in "Disposition" Field should actually read "Observed"

if the "Disposition" field is blank but there is a "DEPER" in the "AdmStatus" field then the blank in "Disposition" Field should actually read "Discharged"

Can I fill in those blanks in the "Disposition" field based on the criteria above?  I understand I will have to probably convert the blanks to "null" first but I am confused about where to go from there. 

Any help is really appreciated,

Lisa