2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2019 9:51 AM by Roopa Shelton

Connecting to Salesforce Einstein?

Roopa Shelton

Hi all. We recently added Salesforce Einstein to our Salesforce CRM instance. I now need to provide Tableau views using that data. But I can't get at it through the standard Salesforce connection in Tableau Desktop. Any recommendations on how to access these tables through Tableau?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Connecting to Salesforce Einstein?
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Roopa,

The ability to connect to Salesforce Einstein data is not yet built into the product. To show support for having this feature added, please create and up-vote a Tableau Community Forums Ideas space: Ideas

There are some additional resources available for connecting to non-native connections such as Salesforce Einstein. One method is to mirror the data in a supported data source. A list of all the available data sources can be found in the link below.

+ All Technical Specifications | Tableau Software

If available for the database Tableau has an ODBC connector can be used to most data sources that have an ODBC driver. I am including several resources for the ODBC connection below. There can sometimes be limitations when using the ODBC connection versus a named connection that is listed in the explicitly on the data source page.

+ Tableau and ODBC

+ Tableau and ODBC | Tableau Community

Also, if the data is available over HTTP, the connection to data source can be made with the WDC(Web Data Connector). I have included several resources for using the Tableau WDC below. The first link is to the Tableau Online Help on the WDC feature. Additionally, I included links to the specific section in the community and the Tableau GitHub section on the WDC.

+ Web Data Connector | Online Help Guide

+ Web Data Connector Home | GitHub

Web Data Connector | Tableau Community

Another option is to use the Tableau SDK, to create a .tde file of the data set to then be used in the Tableau Desktop program. Additional resources and information can be found below.

Tableau SDK | Online Help Guide

Tableau SDK | Tableau Community

Tableau SDK - Getting Started

I hope these resources help!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

Community Manager

Tableau Software

• 2. Re: Connecting to Salesforce Einstein?
            Roopa Shelton

UPDATE--

I was able to get a connection to the Salesforce Einstein data set via an ODBC (Cdata) and now have access to ACTIVITY and USER tables. However, I have tried every combination of joining these tables, and cannot find the correct relationship to bring back accurate information.

It seems there is no real relationship between a user and their activity in the Einstein data set. Which is blowing my mind right now. Has anyone had experience with the data set through this Cdata ODBC and found the correct table relationships?