4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2018 9:28 AM by Mark Docherty

Ranking a Stacked Bar Chart

Mark Docherty

Hello!

I am trying to create a filter where users can see customers by rank, i.e., so they can choose the top 5, 10, 20...etc. (or even the bottom ones, if they want). I have a slider in place, but am encountering two problems that I just can't seem to figure out how to get around:

1 - The slider is not showing all customers. There are 607 customers in my list, but the slider/filter only goes up to 310.

2 - The filter doesn't work based on the total count. For example, if I ask it to rank the top 15, it lists more than 15 results, and seems to involve a combination of the two items that make up the stacked bar, rather than just the total count.

I hope this makes sense. If anyone can help me figure out how to get this working correctly, I would certainly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Mark

• 1. Re: Ranking a Stacked Bar Chart
          swaroop.gantela

Mark,

Hmm. Couldn't find satisfactory simultaneous answers to both your questions.

1. Rank groups customers that have the exact same Load Count.

Rank_Unique will give sequential numbers even with ties, so you'll get your full 607.

2. But, Rank_Unique seems to get affected by the [Mode] on the color shelf.

I couldn't figure out a table setting that would ignore [Mode] and just

rank_unique the customers. Maybe someone can find it.

So I made a poor hack of changing the [Mode] to an attribute

and then using a reference line to show stacking of two modes.

Hopefully the Community will have other insights.

Please see workbook v18.1 attached in the Forum Thread.

• 2. Re: Ranking a Stacked Bar Chart
            Mark Docherty

Thank you so much for your help, Swaroop! However, I replaced the "Rank" function in my original calculation with "Rank_Unique", but I'm still getting only 443 as the total. I also tried recreating the "RankUnique - Loads" calculation you devised, but only get 443 with that too. Not sure what I'm doing wrong since I can see that all 607 showed up in your version. Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Ranking a Stacked Bar Chart
              swaroop.gantela

Mark,

My apologies, I didn't specify the Table Calculation settings.

The settings will all depend upon what pills are on your worksheet.

In the "rank_unique" sheet, I only selected a compute using of "Customer".

But if you have [Mode] on the Color shelf, then you'll probably need

to set it like something below. Changing the order of the Dimensions

also changes the results.

Maybe you'll have a better go at it than I.

I tried many different orientations of dimension order and

many variations of check/uncheck, but couldn't get rank_unique to work

to ignore the Mode and not give back more rows than the selected 15.

284974rank.png

• 4. Re: Ranking a Stacked Bar Chart
                Mark Docherty

That did it. Thank you!