7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2018 2:11 PM by Hunter Maxfield

Tableau not populating zip codes for secondary data sources.

Jonathan Leyerle

Sorry if my title is a bit confusing. I’ll try to explain it well in the text.

I have a map that I’m trying to break down by sales region, so I am utilizing a second data source containing all zips and their related regions. Using the region data source as a primary data source (I can't get the zip info to populate on the screen if the region data source isn't primary) on the Map sheet is causing issues with filters not applying to it because the relationship between the relationship between the region and sales data sources is one to many

The sales data source has the transaction data and then a zip associated with it that matches up to a zip in the region table to get the region for the transaction. However, if I only include the zips for transactions I get https://i.imgur.com/2xZRNby.jpg. This is not very readable and since we have region info for every US zip I need it to group the entire region together like this: https://i.imgur.com/GOq8eN9.jpg

So I need to have a secondary territory data source to make the regions readable, but using it is causing some issues with the filters by causing them to not apply. I could resolve this by recreating the view with the sales data as primary data source, but if I do that then the zip/region data won’t populate while it is the secondary data source.

So essentially, I need to figure out a way to have Tableau populate the region zips without pulling in the territory data (unlikely), have tableau populate regions with the zip information from a secondary data source, or I need to figure out how to get the filters to apply to the sales data which is not the primary data source for the map sheet.

I think the most realistic solution is getting Tableau to populate the zip/regions from a secondary data source. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple there.

Also, sorry for not sharing the workbook. I can't really share sales data.

Message was edited by: Jonathan Leyerle Removed extra image link.