1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2018 7:28 AM by steve olekszyk

Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2

steve olekszyk

I made the wrong choice during an installation of Tableau Server 2018.2.2 with regards to users and active directory.  I uninstalled the product via the control panel.  The software was gone, but the Tableau services were still installed.  I tried to  re-run the install program, but now it says that the software is already installed.  I tried the obliterate script, but that did not work either.

I am stuck in that I can't install the software and I can't use what is left on the server.

Any ideas?

Steve

• 1. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
          Jeff Strauss

The obliterate is important starting with 2018.2, and typically this activity overrides the need to uninstall via control panel.  What error do you get when you run the obliterate after the control panel uninstall?  Are the underlying bin directories still in tact, I would think that obliterate would work.

Also, I found this very helpful note via this link.  Hopefully it helps you.  Remove Tableau Server from Your Computer

• 2. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
            steve olekszyk

I have been to the "Remove Tableau Server from Your Computer" website.  The first time I uninstalled from the server and found that the services were still installed, I tried to run the obliterate command script (from the temp directory since the scripts... directory was removed from the Program Files\Tableau path).  But when I tried to run the obliterate, it gave me an error that a refrsh-environment-variables.cmd file was not found.  I commented that out of the obliterate script and ran it, but nothing seemed to happen.  The Services were still installed.

Right now since my re-installation fails because it thinks that the product is already installed, there are no files in the bin directory.

• 3. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
              Jeff Strauss

oh.  If you're willing to go a bit off the rails (unsupported by Tableau, but may help), then there's a windows command line to delete services.  Lookup "SC delete" on the command line.

• 4. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
                steve olekszyk

I removed the services manually, purged the registry of "Tableau", and delete and the Program Files for Tableau.

The install tried to do an install instead of an upgrade this time, but it failed starting some service.  I have attached the install log file.

Steve

• 5. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
                  Jeff Strauss

You're getting closer!!!  You may also want to delete any files within ProgramData and look in temp directories, appdata directories (i.e. C:\Users\username\AppData) and delete anything Tableau related as well.  What step does it fail in of the TSM initialize or is it on the actual install?

• 6. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
                    Bryan Fernandez

Hi Steve,

You can try some steps here in my post for you to do fresh installation.

Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1 (Windows)v3

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Bryan

• 7. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
                      steve olekszyk

Control panel uninstalled Tableau, purged the registry, deleted ...\Program Files\Tableau, deleted ...\ProgramData\Tableau, deleted ...\users\...\appdata\tableau.

I got as far as I did the very first time I tried to installed.  I fail at creating the administrator account.  I tried this with the user not existing, and again with the user existing and in the local administrator's group.  It will not authenticate.

Failed to Authenticate Administrator Account.png

• 8. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
                        Toby Erkson

The failure to authenticate happens to me as well (2018.2) but I don't know why since the AD account is actively used in our production 2018.1 TS.  Luckily for me, the obliterate command works.

• 9. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
                          Jeff Strauss

It looks like you're doing local authentication, is this correct?  If so, do the logs provide anything useful?  Also, you may want to choose a different username than "tableau" since this is most likely a built-in account.

• 10. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
                            steve olekszyk

Yes I am trying to do local authentication.  I tried changing the username to TableauAdmin.  here is a log message;

The description for Event ID 4096 from source Tableau Server (vizportal) cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

• 11. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
                              Jeff Strauss

If this is from event viewer, there should be additional error details under the generic error message that you just supplied.  Also, have a look at the Tableau log for vizportal.

• 12. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
                                steve olekszyk

There was a lot of other information in the event viewer log;  Where would I find the "Tableau log for vizportal"?

The description for Event ID 4096 from source Tableau Server (vizportal) cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

2018-10-15 11:53:49.421 -0400 catalina-exec-1 - - ERROR requestId=W8S4DQaTtAe2yCSArgtL9QAAAUM             localRequestId=0:-4de6d6ca:1667855c1ed:-7fd7: wgsessionId=-  serviceName=vizportal com.tableausoftware.api.webclient.remoting.RemoteCallHandler  - Exception raised by call target: The server is already initialized. (errorCode=80016)

com.tableausoftware.domain.exceptions.ForbiddenOperationException: The server is already initialized. (errorCode=80016) at com.tableausoftware.app.vizportal.ServerInitializationAppService.verifyInitializationPreconditions(ServerInitializationAppService.java:284) at com.tableausoftware.app.vizportal.ServerInitializationAppService.initializeServerWithLocalUser_aroundBody0(ServerInitializationAppService.java:149) at com.tableausoftware.app.vizportal.ServerInitializationAppService$AjcClosure1.run(ServerInitializationAppService.java:1) at org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AbstractTransactionAspect.ajc$around$org_springframework_transaction_aspectj_AbstractTransactionAspect$1$2a73e96cproceed(AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:66) at org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AbstractTransactionAspect$AbstractTransactionAspect$1.proceedWithInvocation(AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:72) at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionAspectSupport.invokeWithinTransaction(TransactionAspectSupport.java:281) at org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AbstractTransactionAspect.ajc$around$org_springframework_transaction_aspectj_AbstractTransactionAspect$1$2a73e96c(AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:70) at com.tableausoftware.app.vizportal.ServerInitializationAppService.initializeServerWithLocalUser(ServerInitializationAppService.java:149) at com.tableausoftware.api.webclient.impl.WebClientAppService.initializeServerWithLocalUser_aroundBody14(WebClientAppService.java:1026) at com.tableausoftware.api.webclient.impl.WebClientAppService$AjcClosure15.run(WebClientAppService.java:1) at org.aspectj.runtime.reflect.JoinPointImpl.proceed(JoinPointImpl.java:149) at com.tableausoftware.instrumentation.InstrumentedMethod.instrumentInvocation(InstrumentedMethod.java:69) at com.tableausoftware.instrumentation.InstrumentationAspect.aroundAnnotatedMethod(InstrumentationAspect.java:58) at com.tableausoftware.api.webclient.impl.WebClientAppService.initializeServerWithLocalUser(WebClientAppService.java:1026) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) at com.tableausoftware.api.webclient.remoting.SimpleRemoteCallProxy.invokeInternal(SimpleRemoteCallProxy.java:79) at com.tableausoftware.api.webclient.remoting.SimpleRemoteCallProxy.invoke(SimpleRemoteCallProxy.java:61) at com.tableausoftware.api.webclient.remoting.RemoteCallHandler.callMethod(RemoteCallHandler.java:145) at com.tableausoftware.api.webclient.remoting.HttpRemoteCallHandler$HttpCallContext.handleCall(HttpRemoteCallHandler.java:211) at com.tableausoftware.api.webclient.remoting.HttpRemoteCallHandler.handleCall(HttpRemoteCallHandler.java:106) at com.tableausoftware.api.webclient.WebClientApiController.handleRequest(WebClientApiController.java:100) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor384.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) at org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.doInvoke(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:221) at org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invokeForRequest(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:136) at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.invokeAndHandle(ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.java:114) at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.invokeHandlerMethod(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:827) at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.handleInternal(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:738) at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.handle(AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.java:85) at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:963) at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:897) at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:970) at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:872) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:650) at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:846) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:731) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:303) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208) at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:241) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208) at com.tableausoftware.core.controller.RelativeRedirectFilter.doFilter(RelativeRedirectFilter.java:62) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:241) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208) at org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:197) at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:241) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:219) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:110) at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:506) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:169) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:103) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:116) at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:445) at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1115) at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:637) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(AprEndpoint.java:2555) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(AprEndpoint.java:2544) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

• 13. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
                                  Jeff Strauss

This error in the event viewer is good enough as often it will be the same as what's in the internal logs.  The important salient part is: The server is already initialized.

Try this (based on tsm reset and tabcmd Commands ) and then maybe this is a way for you to set the admin user and move forward.

Go to a command line:

1. tsm reset ...

2. tsm initialuser ...

• 14. Re: Can't uninstall Tableau Server 2018.2.2
                                    steve olekszyk

the first time I tried to install the server and fumbled the authentication method, I did go through an offline activation process with the license key.  This latest attempt at an installation did not prompt for license key or anything.   This is what I get when I do the tsm, tabcmd commands;

Failed to Aquire License.png

1 2 Previous Next