1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 12, 2018 9:45 AM by Jim Dehner

Can you un-merge automatically merged fields when union joining?

Stuart Adshead

Hi there,

I'm using Tableau 2018.2.

I am attempting to union join 2 tables from Microsoft Nav data source within Tableau.  However, I have 2 fields named "No." that do not contain the same data.

When I apply a union join, Tableau automatically merges these fields and I cannot un-merge them.

Is there a way to un-merge these fields?

Or, is there a way of doing a manual union join?

I would like to merge the field named "No." from one table to a field named "Order No." from another table.

Once I have achieved this, I would like to link another table via a regular join and use the merged field of "No." + "Order No." as the join clause between these.

So far I have used a calculated field to pull through the required "No." from table 1 and "Order No." from table 2.  However, when I come to my normal join for table 3, I am unable to select this calculated field as the joining clause.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can you un-merge automatically merged fields when union joining?
          Jim Dehner

Good morning

Once you complete the union 2 fields are added - Sheet and Table

the table will have 2 values - one for each of the unioned files - they will be they same but the second will have an integer appended

you can then conditional statements based on the table name    i.e.   order number =  if [table name] = 'Table1'  then [no.]  else null end

you may need additional steps to complete your analysis not being able to see the data is a detriment

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.