7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2018 2:37 PM by Jim Dehner

Dashboard Filter Action by measure

Sandy Kamel

Hi All,

I am familiar with "Actions" on a Dashboard and using the Filter Action to jump to another sheet.  I have used this many times, but my question now is if I can direct the user to a different sheet depending on where they click/select?

Here is my example (small snapshot from my Dashboard):

I have a sheet for Failed Booking Details and another sheet for Failed Cancel Details.

What I would like to do is, say the user clicks on the "30" in the first column (with all of the selected fields set up in the Filter Action), I would like to jump to the Failed Booking Details Sheet.

Say the user clicks on the "1" at the bottom of the second column (again with all selected fields set up in the Filter Action), I would like to jump to the Failed Cancel Details Sheet.

I hope this makes sense.  Currently, I don't see a way to do this.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Sandy

• 1. Re: Dashboard Filter Action by measure
          Jim Dehner

Hi Sandy

see the attached

I think I understand what you want

the book presents 2 different ways

the first is using a worksheet action :

using superstore data

jumps to this

is that what you wanted?

the other action does the same on the d/b

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Dashboard Filter Action by measure
            Sandy Kamel

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the reply!  Yes, this is what I want to do.  I want to go from the summary sheet to the detail sheet depending on which value I click on.  The only difference in my example is that I have 2 separate detail sheets... so maybe that is making it more difficult.

I might have to split it up into summary1-detail1 (for failed bookings, for example) and then summary2-detail2(failed cancels)...

But I am confused on how you got the Action set up on the sheets?

I don't see how to get to it and I always thought that you could only set up a filter action on a dashboard?  How does that work?

Thanks!

Sandy

• 3. Re: Dashboard Filter Action by measure
              Jim Dehner

Hi

it is set up just like your d/b filter except you create a worksheet filter

I added segment (like your 2 different groupings) to the sheets- still only one action but the summary sheet looks like this

the unfiltered detail sheet like this

but filtered

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Dashboard Filter Action by measure
                Sandy Kamel

I think I got it!  Thank you so much!

• 5. Re: Dashboard Filter Action by measure
                  Jim Dehner

Glad to help out -

This is an interesting problem compounded by the fact that your data files establish a many to many relationship - if it was just a straight lookup on one to one relationship yo could simply join the files.

Looks like you got it - I tried to give you a detailed path to follow

Jim

• 6. Re: Dashboard Filter Action by measure
                    Sandy Kamel

Actually, I thought I got it, but setting up 2 Actions on the same worksheet to try to filter to 2 different worksheets is not working.  It all goes to the same place no matter what I click.  I am ending up separating these out to separate worksheets so that the filter path will be straightforward.. but I am still curious if it is even possible to set up different filters off of different values/measures in the same worksheet.

Thanks again

• 7. Re: Dashboard Filter Action by measure
                      Jim Dehner

With worksheet action I was not able to do it - you could do it on a dashboard ( I think) with a sheet swap but not coming off a single worksheet to 2 different sheets -

When I did it in the past I had to go from the main worksheet to the detailed worksheet but had to carry and "extra" value for another dimensions -

see the attached superstore example - the segment is the "extra" value

Jim