5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2019 12:43 PM by James Wilson

    An error has occurred while running the flow

    Govind Acharya

      Hi all,

       

      I can't include the packaged workbook but I can share screenshots. I have a fairly complex flow of data that aggregates so that I can post stuff to Tableau Public. One particular flow has been driving me crazy. I want to aggregate age bands to create a small file. But no matter what I do, I end up with an "error has occurred while running the flow". It definitely seems to be some problem with aggregating to age. I generated the age using a datediff (DATEDIFF('year',[BIRTH_DATE],[Date for Age Calculation])). Because of this I'm beginning to suspect that there is a bug in Tableau Prep (version 2018.2.3) that is causing the flow output to fail. Literally every other flow outputs with no issues. I've tried pretty much everything that I can think of so I need your help!

       

      I am attaching the flow image and specifics associated with the problem. The last screenshot is when I try to open the apparently corrupted .hyper file in Tableau Desktop.I also tried to output as a .tde or .csv and those exhibited the same problems. Thanks so much for your help!

       

        • 1. Re: An error has occurred while running the flow
          Catherine Makin

          You don't by any chance have the hyper open in tableau desktop at the same time do you?  As I have had this issue when trying to run a flow when I had the .hyper open in Tableau desktop.

          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: An error has occurred while running the flow
            Rory Wallis

            Hi Govind,

             

            Tableau 2018.3 is now out. Perhaps try updating the software first and see if this fixes your problem.


            Rory

            • 3. Re: An error has occurred while running the flow
              Govind Acharya

              Thanks Rory and Catherine,

               

              I didn't have the extract open (mainly because it always failed to run!) and it also failed in Tableau Prep version 3. I spoke to support and it seems like it's going to be a bug. I'm at the Tableau Conference now and will ask around.

              • 4. Re: An error has occurred while running the flow
                Ciara Brennan

                Govind Acharya wrote:

                 

                Thanks Rory and Catherine,

                 

                I didn't have the extract open (mainly because it always failed to run!) and it also failed in Tableau Prep version 3. I spoke to support and it seems like it's going to be a bug. I'm at the Tableau Conference now and will ask around.

                Hi Govind, I know this was a few months back but just checking on what the outcome was from this problem?

                 

                Thanks,

                Ciara

                [Program Manager - Tableau Community Forums]

                • 5. Re: An error has occurred while running the flow
                  James Wilson

                  I am having the same issue with version 2019.1.4 ... saving to csv ... simple data cube with 3 levels of aggregation in a union:

                   

                  looks good before trying to run:

                  failure:

                  There is some info pertaining to the failure in the top right corner of the screen:

                  I am looking at the log files, but they are not making much sense to me.

                   

                  Perhaps it has something to do with the order of operations in the flow, even though it is not triggering an error while constructing/viewing the flow.  The bug is that Prep Builder does not detect the error BEFORE running the flow, but the error arises upon run.

                  The logical bug-fix would be to identify this error during flow construction, allowing user to reconfigure flow to run without error. (If only it were that easy).

                   

                  to try and diagnose the location of the problem, I added some temporary outputs:

                  Output 1 - 3 failed initially, but output 4 works.  After running 4, Output 1 began working for some reason, but Output 2 and 3 still failed.

                   

                  Looking at "remove $ estimates", I noticed that I was creating the field "daily_date_id" in two places.  I removed one and fixed the downstream aggregations, but Outputs 2 and 3 have not started working.

                   

                  Since I found an error in this branch AND the failure begins here, I can only assume that there is some residual problem from my error, even though I have attempted to remove it.  I believe that if I rebuild this flow without the error, it will work.

                   

                  Final Update:

                   

                  I recreated the flow up to, but just before, the triple union.  I put outputs on all three branches, analogous to Outputs 1 - 3 above:

                  All three outputs are running without error.

                   

                  Next, I rebuilt the rest of the flow, and it works!

                   

                   

                  The Fix (in this case): find the error in your flow - fix error - rebuild flow if error persists.