1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 10, 2018 10:41 AM by Michael Hesser

Conditionally format background based on dimension values

Megha Bhatnagar

Hi,

(1) I am trying to plot three things on a sheet. Market segment, account and status.

I am trying to color code the background based on Status.

AMZ = Red

Competitor = Blue

Renewed = Yellow

Open = Gray

I am facing issues because Account has multiple values.

(2) Another thing that I am trying to accomplish is create a field that will display Account + space + impact revenue(in millions) eg 3M instead of 3000000

Account is a dimension and revenue is a measure so I was unable to combine them. Converting impact revenue to dimension is making it display the values in a different format.

I am attaching a mock workbook

• 1. Re: Conditionally format background based on dimension values
          Michael Hesser

Hi Megha;

There are several options I can think of-- none of which will be quick & easy.

#1 If you can somehow convert your data into continuous measurements, you could put them on an XY plot. THEN you could use Add Reference Lines (bands) to color the different areas appropriately.This would be a hard-code fix: if your data changes around (or gets filtered by the user), the bands probably wouldn't fit.

#2 You could stick with colors TEXT rather than backgrounds

#3 You could make multiple views (3) and "stitch" them together in a single dashboard. Leverage the LEVEL colors to get the colors you like. If your users don't need to do any scrolling, this could work for you.

#4 You could wait. Tableau has said it's unveiling True Transparent Backgrounds (AT LAST!), meaning you could float your view on top of a color-banded view. But who can say when these will roll out.

I hope this is a little inspiration