5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2018 5:06 AM by Michael Gillespie

Tableau Public Access to Code

Henry  Shum

Hello,

Sorry for my obvious lack of understanding of how embedded codes work in Tableau. If I publish a workbook on Tableau Public, can others view the code for that workbook? If they can, is there a way to restrict permissions for code viewing?

• 1. Re: Tableau Public Access to Code
          Michael Gillespie

What do you mean by "code", Henry?

• 2. Re: Tableau Public Access to Code
            Henry  Shum

Thanks for the reply Michael,

I meant the embedded code. I'm currently using Tableau Online and want to share the embedded code of several workbooks with a website developer. However, the website developer told me that viewing it requires sign-in credentials and wants an embedded code that does not require a sign-in. I'm wondering if there's a way to only share the code with the website developer and thought Tableau Public might be an option.

• 3. Re: Tableau Public Access to Code
              Michael Gillespie

Do you mean the JavaScript that allows you to embed the Tableau Online vizzes in a website?  Or something else?

You DO have to log in to Online to do ANYTHING unless you have paid for the Guest Access capability.  But doing any dev work on Online does require authentication.

I'm not sure what you mean by Tableau Public being an option.

• 4. Re: Tableau Public Access to Code
                Henry  Shum

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the confusion. When I say "Embedded Code", I mean the code you obtain when you click on the "Share" option on a workbook or dashboard published in Tableau Online. However, my website developer wants a code that does not require sign-in credentials. I couldn't find a way to do that using Tableau Online without adding additional users, so I'm just wondering if there's a way to only allow certain people to see that code if I publish the workbooks onto Tableau Public. 

If there is no way to do that, could I still prevent the workbooks from being downloaded?

• 5. Re: Tableau Public Access to Code
                  Michael Gillespie

Ah, that makes sense!  Sorry it took me so long to catch up.

The embed URL for Online does not contain anything that qualifies as "credentials".  Online itself imposes that when you try to connect to any content in your Site.  You are right: your developer would have to have an account on your Online site to open any content hosted there.

You CAN indeed prevent other users from downloading the workbook on Public.

https://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/preventing-workbook-downloads

1 of 1 people found this helpful