2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2018 5:04 AM by Rodrigo Selari

Installing a SSL Certificate - Tableau 2018.2.1

Rodrigo Selari

Hi Experts

I need some help, I´m trying to install a certificate that I recevied from my certsign company but I´m confuse and I guess I´m doing something wrong.

I received 3 files:

One CA (.crt) file, another one that says it´s the G2 (which I dont know what is it) and another file with the extension .ps7.

I dont know which one I should select in the Tableau screens (Configuration>Security>

I tried all of the option but I´m still getting problems, the error I´m getting is that the Gateway process never starts I reboot the server already but the problem persists.

I used the link to generate the csr file (Example: SSL Certificate - Generate a Key and CSR ) and the link to install the certificate (Configure SSL for External HTTP Traffic to and from Tableau Server )

Thanks

• 1. Re: Installing a SSL Certificate - Tableau 2018.2.1
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi rodrigo,

Use the .crt file in tableau ssl configuration window.

open the file location and add it.

While accessing url then add https.

thanks

sankar

• 2. Re: Installing a SSL Certificate - Tableau 2018.2.1
            Rodrigo Selari

Since I didnt receive any answer that solved my question I will put the answer I found by my own.

After researching a lot in the several sites from Geo Trust here is.

1 - Using the Tableau Server support pages you can find how you can generate the certificates (.csr) file to be sent to your CA authority. Here is the Link (Example: SSL Certificate - Generate a Key and CSR ). After performing that procedure, you will get a CSR that needs to be sent so the proper keys can be returned.

2 - Once returned, you will need to follow the procedure in this link: Configure SSL for External HTTP Traffic to and from Tableau Server

3 - The trick part is this one. I was facing issues on this part.

3.1 - I received 3 files (2 files .txt and another one .ps7). The following fields in the server should be filled with those files:

Open the TSM > Configuration > Security > External SSL

1. SSL certificate file (Required) --> Here you insert your ps7 or your x509 file you received from your CA (in that case needs to be 509 format, Tableau is not compatible with ps7)
            2. SSL certificate key file (Required) --> When you generated the step 1, you also generated a .key file (but you just sent the .csr file to your CA and the other .key file still remains in your folder). You should use that file now. (ensure all files used in these process are in the same folder described in the step #2)
            3. SSL certificate key passphrase --> It´s a passphrase you used when creating the .csr file (optional if you didn’t use in step 2)
            4. SSL certificate chain file --> It´s one of the txt files you received from your CA authority. normally it says RSA on it.

So, this is what I was looking for but I couldn´t find that way.

Hope this material help others in the future.

*Just a tip, before doing this process ensure to do a backup and move the backup to another folder (outside Tableau Server - just for safety)

Regards