Tableau Public is free version of Tableau. If you create any dashboard or sheet in Tableau Public desktop then you can not save that work in your system.
But if you really want to save that work then you can save it on Tableau Public cloud account where you'll get 10 GB space in Tableau Public Cloud.
For having this cloud storage, You'll have to create one account on Tableau Public . here(Free Data Visualization Software | Tableau Public )
Verify your email id and activate your account. Once your account is created on Tableau Public Cloud then you can create dashboard in Tableau Public desktop and Publish it on Tableau Public Cloud by going into Server Tab in Tableau Public Desktop.
You can use below link for better and visual understanding.
Save Workbooks to Tableau Public
If you want to share your data discoveries with the world outside of your organization, you can save your workbook to Tableau Public, a free cloud service. On Tableau Public, anyone can interact with your views, or download your workbooks or data sources. For information, go to the Tableau Public website.
Save a workbook
- With your workbook open in Tableau Desktop, select Server > Tableau Public > Save to Tableau Public.Note: This option is available only if you’ve created a viz that contains at least one field.
- Sign in using your Tableau Public account.If you don’t have an account, select the link to create a new one.
- Type a name for the workbook and click Save.When you save a workbook to Tableau Public, the publishing process creates an extract of the data connection.Tip: The title becomes part of your view’s metadata. Use a unique title that will help others find it when they search. (The title shown in the image is a good example of how not to name your workbook.)After the workbook is published, you are redirected to your account on the Tableau Public website.
On your profile page on Tableau Public, do any of the following to customize your profile:
- Hover the pointer over a viz to get access to actions such as selecting it as your featured viz, or hiding, downloading, or deleting it.
- Hover the pointer over a viz and then select View to open the viz’s home page. There you can select Edit Details to customize metadata such as workbook name and description, add a permalink, and change other settings.
- To get a link to share on social media or code to embed in a web page, display a view, and then click Share at the bottom of the view. (You can get links and embed code for other Tableau Public users’ views this way, too.)
Please let me know if you have more question on this.
Please mark correct and Helpful both if my solution works for you so that we can close this thread.