5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2018 7:38 AM by anuj agrawal

Blending and comparison

anuj agrawal

hello all,

I have two data tables which are identical in structure(column names etc).One is the current and the other is a reference table.

One of them is to be used as a reference table to compare the changes with current table. I have created close to 20 calculated fields in the current table which are to be compared with the same calculated fields in the  reference table.The reference table as of now does not have these calculated fields. Is there a way i can blend the two tables and copy paste the calculated fields into the reference table to flag changes?

Please advise

• 1. Re: Blending and comparison
          lei.chen.0

Hello anuj,

According to your description,

anuj agrawal wrote:

I have two data tables which are identical in structure(column names etc).One is the current and the other is a reference table.

I suppose union would be better then data blend.

However, the decision of which function to use, depends on the specified data and requirements.

So please attach a sample workbook for more detailed advice.

Regards

Lei

• 2. Re: Blending and comparison
            anuj agrawal

Hello Lei,

Due to the tables being sensitive data i cannot attach workbook.

But for example

Table 1: Column A, column B, Column C, CalculatedField1, CaculatedField2

Table 2: Column A, Column B, Column C

As you can see both the tables are identical in structure. The only difference is that table 2 is updated at diferent point in time than table 1.

So im assuming I can just copy the calculated field into table 2 and hen compare using ATTR(Table1.CalculatedField1) = ATTR(Table2.CalculatedField1)?

• 3. Re: Blending and comparison
              lei.chen.0

Hello anuj,

Two alternatives came to me, while I'm not sure if either of them works for you.

First, simply copy & paste the calculated fields from on data source to another.

Second, modify the data source (in which the calculated fields are created) and use union.

Regards

Lei

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Blending and comparison
                anuj agrawal

Lei,

I tried copy pasting on another dummy data set and the calculations seemed to work. I guess ill try it in the main set and see what happens.I can take a union because my original two tables were comprsied from making unions and if i take another union I think ill have trouble with data repeating itself. Im guessing since the tables are going to be identical in structure, takin a blend and  then blending on all dimensions might be easier.

The issue is that the calculated fields are really complex. Ive been working on them for 2 weeks now and taking a union might just throw a wrench to the workkbook. Thanks! ill keep you posted if it worked!

• 5. Re: Blending and comparison
                  anuj agrawal

I just made the copy paste and used a blend on all fields. Worked for now but the thing is that both the tables wre an hour apart so might not be a change to flag. Ill keep this updated in case anyone has a similar question