5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2019 5:37 AM by Stephen MacDonald

2018.2 Nested Sort Issue (Broken - help!)

David Gamelin

In 10.5 and previous versions of Tableau, you could have a table with multiple dimensions and measures, and you could sort the table based on the measures by clicking the measure name... in 2018.2 this functionality no longer seems to work. My users need the ability to sort various measures on a table that displays multiple dimensions, this used to work fine in 10.5 but we recently upgraded and now the sorting no longer works.

I understand the improvements to nested sorting and I also understand these views may not be ideal - but it shouldn't be difficult to sort a table with multiple dimensions and quickly see the table ordered by profit or sales or something else. I have included screenshots, along with a 10.5 workbook and 2018.2 workbook that demonstrate the issue (I hope) - please help! In the examples below, a table with Sub-Category and Category could previously be sorted by any of the measures in view, this no longer works the same in 2018.2.

Note - if only one dimension is on the rows shelf, you can sort by measure names in 2018.2, but once there are two or more dimensions on the rows shelf it no longer works. In my use case, I have a table with a few dimensions (job title, manager, etc.) and a variety of measures - having only one dimension is not sufficient for my users.

10.5 Sort.png

2018.2 Sort.png

• 1. Re: 2018.2 Nested Sort Issue (Broken - help!)
          Ciara Brennan

Hi David

I came across an article on this topic (it describes where to access the 'classic' sort in the toolbar)

Hope this helps

Ciara

https://kb.tableau.com/articles/HowTo/sorting-doesn-t-work-in-2018-2-but-works-in-same-workbook-locally

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 2018.2 Nested Sort Issue (Broken - help!)
            Jon McGee

Any plans to make this functionality better? I see this change as completely broken. Users should be able to click on a sort icon & sort the data in that column - they are not going to see the nuance of a s lightly different icon for nested sorting. It worked before, and now it's broken - that's what we are already being told by users. There are legitimate use cases for having multiple dimensions with one hidden (a unique ID for a person for example), and sorting should not always work as nested. You should be able to turn it off at the worksheet level.

• 3. Re: 2018.2 Nested Sort Issue (Broken - help!)
              Stephen MacDonald

Hey David,

Have you had any luck with this at all?

We recently upgraded from 10.5 to 2018 and discovered the same thing. It feels like such a basic thing, but it's now causing a bit of a headache for our end users.

I know you can select the column header and then use the sort icons in the tool bar, but there is a bit of a delay with that even rendering. Depending on the dashboard, it sometimes takes over 1 minute to even pop up, which is frustrating. I understand the need for Nested sorting but I wish they had added it somewhere else and left the sort icon the same.

I actually reached out to Tableau and just got off the phone with them, and their suggestion was to create a sort parameter, and then to place a transparent box over the column header so that end users can't click on it. I was really hoping to avoid this as we have a lot of dashboards with tables, and I now need to go in and make a parameter for each one.

I'm just hoping someone else might have figured out a better solution.

• 4. Re: 2018.2 Nested Sort Issue (Broken - help!)
                Ciara Brennan

Jon McGee wrote:

Any plans to make this functionality better? I see this change as completely broken. Users should be able to click on a sort icon & sort the data in that column - they are not going to see the nuance of a s lightly different icon for nested sorting. It worked before, and now it's broken - that's what we are already being told by users. There are legitimate use cases for having multiple dimensions with one hidden (a unique ID for a person for example), and sorting should not always work as nested. You should be able to turn it off at the worksheet level.

Hi Jon, I haven't heard of specific plans around this, but I'd recommend posting it as an Idea on the Ideas board (you can vote and others are welcome to comment & vote too)

Ideas

IDEAS.jpg

Kind Regards, Ciara

• 5. Re: 2018.2 Nested Sort Issue (Broken - help!)
                  Stephen MacDonald

Jon,

Per Ciara's suggestion I have created an idea for this:

https://community.tableau.com/ideas/9741

I don't know if this will do anything though. It really feels like it shouldn't even be an idea considering it worked fine before. We'll see what happens.