5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2018 7:19 AM by Toby Erkson

TNSNAMES.ORA setup

pavitra k

https://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/setting-an-oracle-connection-to-use-tnsnames-ora-or-ldap-ora As part of this process with in tableau server the desktop is connecting service name used tnsnames.ora but from desktop at laptop its not connecting and its throwing the following error appreciate your help Error : The connection to the data source might have been lost. ExternalProtocol::PipeMessageSource::ReadBytes: Communication with the Tableau Protocol Server process was lost. Unable to connect to the server "DWH_PROD". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

• 1. Re: TNSNAMES.ORA setup
          Toby Erkson

I don't understand your question, can you please rephrase it.  I don't know if you're asking about a Tableau Server problem or a Tableau Desktop one.

• 2. Re: TNSNAMES.ORA setup
            Luciano Vasconcelos

2 options: your laptop tsnames is not equal Server tsnames or your notebook is not connected in the same network. You can ping Server from your laptop? Try to do with IP address.

Toby is correct.. A little bit confused your question. I hope i had understood correctly.

• 3. Re: TNSNAMES.ORA setup
              pavitra k

Overview : We have a QA & PROD Tableau servers running on windows machine. There i installed oracle client 11g and also Tableau desktop. Apart from these steps, I created tnsnames.ora file and also created TNS_ADMIN path variable as per the instructions given in the earlier link. And I tested creating workbook with tns service name within the server its working successfully. However at my laptop i opened a fresh workbook and connected to tableau server(sign in) and using "Connect to data" i specified tns service name and oracle DB credentials and its failing with errors Q1) Do i need to install oracle client,tnsnames.ora & TNS_ADMIN path file at my laptop too same like tableau server? Q2) If Q1 is yes, i did the same setup but its failing Q3)If Q1 is no, i have respective oracle drivers installed but its still failing please let me know if i missed anything

• 4. Re: TNSNAMES.ORA setup
                Toby Erkson

To answer the only question, yes, you need the Oracle drivers installed on your laptop AND you need the TNS_ADMIN environmental variable set.

You need to use the Oracle option when you Connect >> To a Server:

Do not use ODBC!

I created this Tableau Server Configuration/DB Connection for Oracle over 5 years ago but it still applies.  It was before the KB article was published and while they contain the same information they are worded differently (it was also when Tableau was Windows-only).  I don't know if it will help but read it anyway, just in case.

• 5. Re: TNSNAMES.ORA setup
                  Toby Erkson

Please show us a screen shot of the error and make sure you click the Show Details button if there is one.  Always always always show details.