8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2018 6:28 AM by Pamela Lee

Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets

Pamela Lee

I am disappointed.  I wanted to add a text box to a worksheet, which is a simple task in other reporting software, but it can't be done in Tableau. In Power BI, just drop the text box anywhere on the canvas.

• 1. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
          Peter Fakan

Hi Pamela,

You can't add a text box to a worksheet - perhaps you have mixed up the difference in roles between a worksheet and a dashboard ?

I'd suggest taking a week or so and just playing with the tool to find out how it works before trying something under pressure.

HTH

Peter

• 2. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
            Pamela Lee

Hi Peter,

I appreciate the reply, but I'm interested in adding a text box to a worksheet which Tableau doesn't allow.  I see this as a basic design flaw.

Pamela

• 3. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
              Peter Fakan

Hi Pamela,

This is a feature, not a bug. I indicated earlier the place to nest text boxes around worksheets is on dashboards. Maybe you could upload an example of what you are trying to do and I can walk you through the process ?

HTH

Peter

• 4. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
                Pamela Lee

Hi Peter,

Okay, I've attached a workbook with dummy data.  Please show me how to put a text box over the "Abc" column.

Thanks in advance!

Pamela

• 5. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
                  Peter Fakan

I'm guessing this is what you are looking for ?

I'm uncertain of how you would do the equivalent thing in Power BI as this is effectively an un-named column of no data. There are also other ways of achieving this such as floating a text box over the worksheet inside a dash.

To do this - I just dragged Measure Names out onto the viz, and then renamed it (r/click and select edit alias).

HTH 18.2 attached

Peter

• 6. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
                    Pamela Lee

Not really, maybe it wasn't the best example.  I'm looking for the ability to put a text box anywhere on a worksheet, of which Tableau is currently incapable, correct?  I really do appreciate your help, but I personally do not see the solution to be helpful or intuitive.  It's the difference between drag Measure Names to Columns, r/click and Edit Alias in Tableau for a very specific and limited result compared to r/click and drop text box anywhere you choose in Power BI.  Comparatively, in Tableau it's a long, confusing task while in Power BI it's simple, intuitive and pretty much industry standard.  I did attempt to put a floating text box over the "Abc" column in the dashboard, but when I clicked on the viz, it took me back to the worksheet sans text box.  Is there a way to bind a floating text box in a dashboard to a viz so that the text box also appears in the viz/worksheet?

• 7. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
                      Peter Fakan

Hi Pamela,

Sorry but I am having trouble understanding what the problem is. Your statement is correct that you cannot add a text box to a worksheet, but you can add them to a dashboard as I have mentioned already. Maybe lets take this back a step - you shouldn't be publishing worksheets anyway (they have iframe complications for starters but there's many reasons why you should put a worksheet inside a dashboard when you are publishing them).

On a dashboard, you can put a text box anywhere you like..

HTH

Peter

• 8. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
                        Pamela Lee

Hi Peter,

I do appreciate you taking the time to explain how I might achieve adding a text box to a dashboard, but not a worksheet, and I do understand the functionality.  What I was expecting to find was functionality akin to this, that's all.

Text boxes and shapes in Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Kind Regards,

Pamela