9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2019 12:58 PM by Tyler Jones

Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets

Pamela Lee

I am disappointed.  I wanted to add a text box to a worksheet, which is a simple task in other reporting software, but it can't be done in Tableau. In Power BI, just drop the text box anywhere on the canvas.

• 1. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
          Peter Fakan

Hi Pamela,

You can't add a text box to a worksheet - perhaps you have mixed up the difference in roles between a worksheet and a dashboard ?

I'd suggest taking a week or so and just playing with the tool to find out how it works before trying something under pressure.

HTH

Peter

• 2. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
            Pamela Lee

Hi Peter,

I appreciate the reply, but I'm interested in adding a text box to a worksheet which Tableau doesn't allow.  I see this as a basic design flaw.

Pamela

• 3. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
              Peter Fakan

Hi Pamela,

This is a feature, not a bug. I indicated earlier the place to nest text boxes around worksheets is on dashboards. Maybe you could upload an example of what you are trying to do and I can walk you through the process ?

HTH

Peter

• 4. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
                Pamela Lee

Hi Peter,

Okay, I've attached a workbook with dummy data.  Please show me how to put a text box over the "Abc" column.

Thanks in advance!

Pamela

• 5. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
                  Peter Fakan

I'm guessing this is what you are looking for ?

I'm uncertain of how you would do the equivalent thing in Power BI as this is effectively an un-named column of no data. There are also other ways of achieving this such as floating a text box over the worksheet inside a dash.

To do this - I just dragged Measure Names out onto the viz, and then renamed it (r/click and select edit alias).

HTH 18.2 attached

Peter

• 6. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
                    Pamela Lee

Not really, maybe it wasn't the best example.  I'm looking for the ability to put a text box anywhere on a worksheet, of which Tableau is currently incapable, correct?  I really do appreciate your help, but I personally do not see the solution to be helpful or intuitive.  It's the difference between drag Measure Names to Columns, r/click and Edit Alias in Tableau for a very specific and limited result compared to r/click and drop text box anywhere you choose in Power BI.  Comparatively, in Tableau it's a long, confusing task while in Power BI it's simple, intuitive and pretty much industry standard.  I did attempt to put a floating text box over the "Abc" column in the dashboard, but when I clicked on the viz, it took me back to the worksheet sans text box.  Is there a way to bind a floating text box in a dashboard to a viz so that the text box also appears in the viz/worksheet?

• 7. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
                      Peter Fakan

Hi Pamela,

Sorry but I am having trouble understanding what the problem is. Your statement is correct that you cannot add a text box to a worksheet, but you can add them to a dashboard as I have mentioned already. Maybe lets take this back a step - you shouldn't be publishing worksheets anyway (they have iframe complications for starters but there's many reasons why you should put a worksheet inside a dashboard when you are publishing them).

On a dashboard, you can put a text box anywhere you like..

HTH

Peter

• 8. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
                        Pamela Lee

Hi Peter,

I do appreciate you taking the time to explain how I might achieve adding a text box to a dashboard, but not a worksheet, and I do understand the functionality.  What I was expecting to find was functionality akin to this, that's all.

Text boxes and shapes in Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Kind Regards,

Pamela

• 9. Re: Inserting Text Boxes in Worksheets
                          Tyler Jones

A little late to the post, but just in case someone else had the same question here is what I found to be helpful.  Hopefully it answers your question.Pic1.png

I'm fairly new to Tableau, so forgive not knowing all the terminology.  From the 'Marks' section, select the 'T text' icon.

Pic2.png

Then select the '...' icon to pull up more information.

Pic3.png

Here is where you can type your text.

Pic4.png

Your text will show up within your worksheet and on your dashboard.  You can also edit your font; size, color, alignment, and so forth from here.  Hope this helps!

- Tyler