6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2018 10:13 AM by Kord Kindred

How to connect to DB2 (on IBMi aka AS400) from tableau?

Ajay Kulkarni

Hello, is there a way to connect to DB2 database (that is hosted on IBMi aka AS400)? DB2 on IBMi (or Legacy AS400) has ODBC and JDBC drivers.

• 1. Re: How to connect to DB2 (on IBMi aka AS400) from tableau?
          Yuriy Fal

Hi Ajay,

You could connect to DB2 on AS400 via a Generic (Other Databases) ODBC connection:

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.html#examples_otherdatabases.html

You may want to configure a DSN connection first, then tell Tableau to use it in the connection.

The performance of a Live Connection would be decent, so making an extract is recommended.

Yours,

Yuri

• 2. Re: How to connect to DB2 (on IBMi aka AS400) from tableau?
            Kord Kindred

Yuriy,

Surely there is a way to connect directly through the DB2 though, is there not? I have tried to search for the documentation to help me setup a connection without much success. I also use an AS400 flat file system that is connected through IBM's System i-Navigator. I currently use the ODBC connection to get through, but have been wondering why add the extra steps(breaking potential) if Tableau has an option for DB2. I might just be missing one or two pivotal pieces to make that side work like the port number(might not be the default 50000), I have a support ticket in to try and find that out from our business system provider.

• 3. Re: How to connect to DB2 (on IBMi aka AS400) from tableau?
              Yuriy Fal

Hi Kord,

Agree, why not use the 'native' DB2 connector

(downloaded from the tableau.com/drivers page)?

Frankly, I've not tested it recently.

A former customer had been connecting

to DB2 on i with the 9.x version(s) of Tableau,

and that time he'd been using a Generic ODBC connection

('native' DB2 ODBC driver wouldn't work in his environment).

There may be (subtle) differences between each cases, though.

Yours,

Yuri

• 4. Re: How to connect to DB2 (on IBMi aka AS400) from tableau?
                Kord Kindred

Yuri,

This is where I get stuck. I know that I know my username and password. I am fairly positive about the Database name. I am almost certain about the Server name. I have not the slightest clue about the Port number.

I was reading about how to setup some file that is very hidden on my computer to get this piece working but then I am back to using an ODBC connection and I believe that doing so limits my Tableau functionality. Not to mention that it is way more confusing than using the built-in IBM DB2 screen.

Would I just need to contact my business system provider for the details here? We have an IT and Development department and neither of them know the details either.

• 5. Re: How to connect to DB2 (on IBMi aka AS400) from tableau?
                  Yuriy Fal

Hi Kord,

Do you have a working connection to your DB2 on i

(configured as a DSN using iSeries Access ODBC Driver)?

If no, please, ask your DBA to provide you with the details.

If yes, then you could be able to use this DSN in Tableau --

just choose the DSN (not the Driver) in the latter connection dialog.

Yours,

Yuri

• 6. Re: How to connect to DB2 (on IBMi aka AS400) from tableau?
                    Kord Kindred

Yuri,

We can use the Tableau Other Databases (ODBC) connection via the DSN or the Driver, I am able to connect and get it 'working' because it does not ask for a Port number like the IBM DB2 connection does.

Since IBM is the one hosting my database I should be able to connect via ODBC or the native DB2 connections correct? Or does the fact that its an AS400 system behind the IBM System i-Navigator mean that I am forced into using the ODBC.

Although it is 'working' right now the reason I am trying to use the IBM DB2 connector is so that I can leverage the full functionality of Tableau. I remember reading that the ODBC connection might limit what Tableau is capable of and I would like to be in the best situation I can be.

Thank you,

Kord