1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2018 12:05 AM by Deepak Rai

How can I prepare data for comparison (schedules vs. actual)?

Meetal Shah

I am working with several schools that are using a classroom assessment software as a diagnostic tool to inform instruction. I have two sets of data that I would like to compare.

The first set of data, I will refer to as "scheduled data", includes the following:

1. grade level of the test (e.g. Grade 7)

2. topic id (e.g. unique numeric id for a given topic -- Displaying Univariate Data is 9)

3. school id (unique numeric identifier)

4. teacher id (unique numeric identifier)

5. class id (unique numeric identifier -- each teacher may have multiple ids assigned to them)

6. date interval within which the test has been scheduled to take place (e.g. start date and end date)

The second set of data, I will refer to as "actual data", includes the following:

1. grade level of test (e.g. Grade 7)

2. topic id (e.g. unique numeric id for a given topic -- Displaying Univariate Data is 9)

3. testform id (unique numeric identifier)

4. test types id (pretest, test, or posttest) (unique numeric identifier)

5. school id (unique numeric identifier)

6. teacher id (unique numeric identifier)

7. class id (unique numeric identifier -- each teacher may have multiple ids assigned to them)

8. number of students who submitted a test by class id

9. average score by class id

10. actual date that the test was submitted (single date but some students in class may take the test on a different date e.g if they are absent )

I would like to organize the  data so that I can analyze both sets of data; scheduled and actual, together in Tableau. Some of the questions that I would like to be able to quickly answer in Tableau are:

How many teachers' classes(or students) took  the test during the scheduled date interval?

• for those classes that took the test, how many students took the test?
      • for those classes that took the test, what was the average score on the test?

How many teachers' classes (or students) did not take the test during the schedule date interval (or ever)?

I don't have Tableau file for this yet as I am trying to work out how to feed the data in to Tableau. My data is also subject to IRB protections and therefore I cannot share my Excel spreadsheet online.

Any help with this problem will be much appreciated.

Thanks