3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2018 4:37 AM by Jim Dehner

Can't work out % respondents

Claire Hartnell

I am using survey data on a bigger workbook and I have one problem I can't solve.  I want to have some tables showing % respondents scoring above / below a particular score.  I have a calculated field that divides the data into high score / low score (simplified version) but however many table calcs I try, I can't show this as a %.  So in the v. simple workbook attached here, the answer I am looking for is 25% respondents score low and 75% score high.  But how do I get that calc in Tableau?

Help appreciated - has been driving me crazy.

• 1. Re: Can't work out % respondents
          Okechukwu Ossai

Hi Claire,

One way to do is to use LODs. I also modified [High score / low score] formula by removing the pre-aggregation using FIXED LOD.

See attached workbook

Hope this helps.

Ossai

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't work out % respondents
            Claire Hartnell

Hi Ossai,

Thanks - this was helpful.  But ... then I added a dimension (in the bigger version of the file) and I wanted the calc to change for each segment in my dimension.  But it just showed the same numbers.  So let's say I wanted to take the data in this worksheet and put something like gender in front of it and then see the data reflecting the % of Male vs. Female who scored highly - how would I do that?  I think the fixed LOD fixes the calc at one level but I want it to show the breakdown within each segment of the dimension.  I keep trying to do a count (respondents) / Total (count (respondents)) calc but it does't seem to work.

All suggestions appreciated.  It may be something really simple ...

• 3. Re: Can't work out % respondents
              Jim Dehner

good morning

Ossai's provided the path - it just needs to be modified to account for any added dimensions -

the way fixed works is it takes all the combinations of dimensions that precede the colon(:) and aggregates them by what follows the colon

the LOD itself is not an aggregate - but rather a higher level disaggregate - OK so what

if you take each of Ossai's expressions and add your additional dimensions (comma separated) before the colon it will accomplish what you want

Pease mark Ossai's answer correct - if mine added any insight please mark it helpful

Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful