2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2018 5:42 AM by Charlotte Taft

Scheduled Email Failure For Half of Recipients

Charlotte Taft

Hi All!

So I have been running into the following situation:

• Have a dash that updates weekly and a scheduled email (see screenshot) that is set up to send that morning to 12 users. What has been happening is that it sends to 2-3 of those users - which ones varies by week! - and the others fail with the following error: com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.util.EmailHelper$SMTPServerException: SMTP host unreachable.
      • Note that immediately prior to this error it has successfully sent - these emails are all on the same (our corporate Microsoft accounts) platform
      • I imagine this is a networking/connectivity issue that will require a solution on our end but was hoping that someone might have pointers on what needs to be asked for (I'm the head of BI so need to give full info for the ticket to our tech folks, naturally).

Anyone run into this? Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Scheduled Email Failure For Half of Recipients
          Bryan Fernandez

Hi,

Base on the error you posted, I assumed that it will be a problem with your STMP Server, an SMTP server job is to deliver your messages outside to be receive by

your recipients. One thing you can do is to talk to your Email Administrator, try to restart the SMTP service (whatever you are using). Second, by the looks of

it, your SMTP server sends to your recipient intermittently, meaning sometimes it works, sometimes not with a long time interval, please check your

firewall logs, and anti-virus logs, it could've been blocked or delayed. Third, check your whitelist and blacklists logs from your Email Server application or appliance (hardware).

Also if it is unreachable, check your network connections, try to ping your Email Server IP, it could have high latency or have a physical network issues.

I hope it helps,

Regards,

Bryan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scheduled Email Failure For Half of Recipients
            Charlotte Taft

THANK YOU! I've included this in my questions to our IT guy - much appreciated! Will update with what happens!