2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2018 1:13 AM by nicolaesse

Too many exec of MS SQL Stored procedure

nicolaesse

In Tableau 10.5 Server I have a dashboard which show the results of one stored procedure from SQL Server 2005. The dashboard contains one sheet (and one other sheet for a viz insiede tooltips).

The stored procedure is easy, doesn't have any input variable and can be executed in only 10-12 seconds, so I decided to use a LIVE data source.

The problem is that, when I select anything from the filters, Tableau Server start loading for 2-3 minutes and then show a message that there are problems with the data source.

I have made a small log table about the execution of the SP and I understand that, when the user make hands on some filter (even if change just one parameter), the SP is executed not once but 7-8 times simultaneously and, of course, generate the error.

Why the SP is called so many times even the user change only one parameter? Any idea on what should I look at?

My objective is the following:

1. The user log-in into Tableau Server;
      2. The user open the dashoard;
      3. Tableau Server execute the SP (just one time!)
      4. The user can see the data from the SP output and use the filters without executing the SP another time.