This post was placed over a month ago with no reply so I want to check in here and bring it back to the top of the forums in this area. Have you found a solution? Do you still need assistance?
I'm getting the same error. Is there a limitation in the REST API?
I'm trying to automate workbook migration and am having this same issue when migrating workbooks whose datasources are on a database. I'm surprised this hasn't been answered yet.
Same here. We are trying to replicate a workbook across multiple sites with the same project structure.
In our case, there is a server data source in the project where we are trying to put the workbook. The name for the data source is the same in every site.
Publishing the data source from a local .tds file works great, and we can do that in every site.
When we try to publish a workbook from a local .twb file that is tied to that data source name (and id), it fails.
When we try to create a workbook on the server that uses the successfully created data source, we get:
Unexpected Server Error
LogicException: Internal Error - An unexpected error occurred and the operation could not be completed.
FWIW, I filed a support case for this, #04590260. I will report back whatever I find.
Ok, we managed to figure this out on our own, but we did discover a bug/error message in Tableau server that may be related.
Our problem ended up being that the original workbook was not in fact using the shared data source we created, it was still using an embedded workbook datasource.
This can happen if you do the following steps:
- Create a new workbook via the Tableau server web app ("new_workbook")
- Save the workbook with a data source name ("new_datasource")
- Click the dropdown next to the data source in the left hand side of the web editor, and choose save.
- Indicate that you want to share the data source, and click Yes
- Receive an error message
- See that a new shared data source has been created anyhow (also called "new_datasource", and found in the project where you saved it)
- Check in the workbook details view, see that it is still using the original embedded version of the datasource
So what was tripping us up was, our automation script would find the shared data source, publish it to a new site just fine, but then fail to publish the workbook to the new site, because that workbook was using the embedded data source and not the same-named shared data source.
Some images are attached to help illustrate the issue.