3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2018 1:39 PM by Thomas Schroeder

Tableau Server 2018.2 on Ubuntu 18.04

Boris Sevo

Has anybody installed Tableau Server 2018.2 on Ubuntu 18.04?

List of supported servers All Technical Specifications | Tableau Software doesn't mention Ubuntu 18.04

• Amazon Linux 2,
      • CentOS 7,
      • Ubuntu 16.04 LTS,
      • Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7,
      • Oracle Linux 7

but maybe someone already tried it and can confirm that everything works.

Thanks,

Boris

• 1. Re: Tableau Server 2018.2 on Ubuntu 18.04
          Jeff Strauss

I haven't installed yet on Ubuntu, but have done it on RHEL.  My thought is that it will work on 18.04, but Tableau engineering either hasn't gotten around to updating their web page, or they haven't tested / certified the newer release yet.  Is 18.04 much different?

• 2. Re: Tableau Server 2018.2 on Ubuntu 18.04
            Boris Sevo

We have Tableau Server running on Ubuntu 16.04. We would like to upgrade Ubuntu to 18.04, but we aren't sure if Tableau Server will continue to work. No matter how big are the differences between Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 it would be great to have the information are there any plans about Ubuntu 18.04 support in a foreseeable future.

• 3. Re: Tableau Server 2018.2 on Ubuntu 18.04
              Thomas Schroeder

A good hint is that Tabcmd doesn't work on 18.04. It seems like the problem could be that the version of Java included with 18.04 isn't compatible with Tableau. I tried tabcmd on 16.04 on a VM, otherwise set up the same way, and had no problems getting going. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect LTS releases to be supported! Given that Tableau has concerns regarding systemd, perhaps Centos/RHEL is the preferred distribution?