11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2018 11:11 AM by James Fellrath

After upgrade to 2018.2 from 10.5.2, existing twbx cannot connect to SQL Server to refresh extract

James Fellrath

Hi all,

I have a .twbx that I last saved with version 10.5.2. I recently upgraded my Tableau Desktop to 2018.2.0 (20182.18.0627.2230) 64-bit and tried to open that same .twbx file.The workbook uses an extract from a SQL Server database.

When I attempt to open the file in Tableau Desktop 2018.2, now, I get the following error:

An error occurred while communicating with the Tableau Data Engine data source 'Sheet1 (Sample worksheet for Tableau)'.

Bad Connection: Tableau could not connect to the data source.

There was problem and the data engine could not start properly.

Unable to connect to the server "". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

After I close the error message window, I get another window that says "Extract Not Found" and asks if I want to Locate, Remove, Deactivate, or Regenerate the extract. I've tried all of these. They all result in the above error.

If I close the error window and try to edit my connection in the datasource tab, I get no error upon clicking the "Sign In" button. But as soon as I try to refresh the extract, I get that same error message.

I have verified the username and password I'm using to connect to the database, that is not the issue. The server is most definitely running. I'm attaching to a named server, not an IP address. (We change the datasource to point at an IP address after we push changes up to our Tableau Server instance, but that shouldn't affect anything in my development environment). 

Now here's the weird part: if I use a Live connection, everything works fine. But as soon as I switch the Connection over to an extract, I get the above error again. We use an extract on our Tableau Server so I'd like to use that. What should I do? 

Thanks,
      Jamie