4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2018 6:09 AM by manoj kumar

Correlation Analysis on Day vs Day

manoj kumar

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Tableau and I'm a bit confused to perform my analysis. I got a data set of airline ticket booking agencies, their performance on day X and day Y in the same table.

Data includes ClientName, city pairs, number of searches, number of bookings, date.

My aim is to find out the performance of the clients on day X and day Y? Whether it has increased or decreased.

What are the sectors sold on day X and how are their sales in day Y? whether it has increased or decreased?

Whether there is a correlation between searches and booking on day x and day y?

It will be really helpful if you could suggest me how I can perform this analysis as the data is on the same table. I have attached a sample excel file for your perusal.

Thank you in advance

Manoj

• 1. Re: Correlation Analysis on Day vs Day
          Jonathan Brough

Hi Manoj,

This is something Tableau is really good at.

When you load in the data make sure that your ([Searched Date]) field is recognised as a date.

Then use Day([Searched Date]) on a column.

Then use sum([Searched Count]) on row, before right-clicking on this in the shelf and choosing Quick Table Calculation, then Difference (or Percentage difference). This will show how the more recent date compares to the first date.

You only have two dates in the data provided, but if you had multiple dates it would should the change between each date, so you will need to filter on the last two dates.

I suspect you would want t then show this by Destination or Client.

Please mark Answered if this works as expected.

Thanks,

Jonathan

• 2. Re: Correlation Analysis on Day vs Day
            manoj kumar

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for writing back. Sorry, I'm using Tableau 10.1 and can't open the file attached. My aim is to see whether there is any correlation between the searches & booking count.

Whether the client search increased or decreased for the same city pair.

Whether the bookings increased or decreased for the same city pair.

• 3. Re: Correlation Analysis on Day vs Day
              Jonathan Brough

Hi Manoj,

Sounds like you want to plot two measures against eachother, so you may want a scatter plot with the growth in searches vs. the growth in bookings. You won't be able to do this using this Difference Tableau calculation I mentioned,so will need to create calculated fields for the growth/difference, using something like this:

([Latest Date searches] - [Previous Date searches]) / [Previous Date searches]

I've been off 10.1 for a while and can't turn around a downgraded version right now.

Thanks,

Jonathan

• 4. Re: Correlation Analysis on Day vs Day
                manoj kumar

Thanks Jonathan, let me cross check it.