2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2018 3:59 PM by Gerardo Varela

Hardware requirements for one test user of Tableau Server

Parker Nokes

Hi, I am wanting to get Tableau Server stood up. I understand that Tableau has minimum requirements and minimum recommended requirements. Currently, I have a spare laptop with a 2.2 Ghz 2 core CPU and 8 GB RAM. I understand that this would be pretty close to the minimum requirements and Tableau recommends that this only be used in a test environment. For now, that is all it really would be. We have a client that we are delivering Tableau training to here in a few weeks and they ultimately want their data in their Tableau Server and hooked up with their R code running Rserve, but wanted to test it on our end first. Long term plans for us are to ultimately be using Tableau server as part of our business offerings at which point we will get a dedicated server, but I am wondering in the meantime, how slow will Tableau server be to test this and get it set up? Is it going to be so slow that it is unusable and I wasted my time setting it up? Either way, it is going to require an SSD upgrade (sooner if the laptop is usable) and likely more RAM.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Hardware requirements for one test user of Tableau Server
          Ritesh Bisht
          • Minimum requirements are the minimum hardware your computer must have in order to install Tableau Server. If your computer does not meet these requirements, the Setup program will not install Tableau Server. These requirements are appropriate for testing and prototyping.
          • Minimum recommendations are higher than minimum requirements, and represent the minimum hardware configuration you should use for a production installation of Tableau Server. If your computer meets the minimum requirements but does not meet these recommendations, the setup program will warn you but you can continue the installation.

Minimum Hardware Requirements

The computer on which you are installing or upgrading Tableau Server must meet the minimum hardware requirements. If the setup program determines that your computer does not meet the following requirements, you will not be able to install Tableau Server.

For more information on how the Setup program determines hardware, see Determining Computer Hardware.

These minimum requirements are appropriate for a computer that you use for prototyping and testing of Tableau Server. They apply to single-node installations and to each computer in a distributed installation.

CPU

RAM

Free Disk Space

Minimum Hardware Requirements

2-core

8 GB

15 GB

For one user

----> appropriate for a computer that you use for prototyping and testing of Tableau Server.

It should be OK for your requirement since I don't think there will be a load problem here

Thanks,

Ritesh

• 2. Re: Hardware requirements for one test user of Tableau Server
            Gerardo Varela

Hi Parker,

You should be able to get it up an running but I wouldn't do a demo with those specs. That's like having a Ferrari with no tires and trying to demonstrate how fast it goes. If that's the only machine available consider spinning up a virtual instance:

Tableau Server on AWS - Quick Start

Create your Azure free account today | Microsoft Azure

Regards,

Gerardo