3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2018 1:36 PM by Hari Ankem

Single Action Filter for Multiple Columns

Franco Verri

Hi everyone, I'm working on Tableau 10.4. Is there a way to create a single filter with differents source/target fields depending on the selection?

Taking this simple example:

I've made 2 actions, one filters the 2nd sheet by region and the other by manufacturer. It's important to declare that I want the filters in the 2nd sheet to be able te be dinamically manipulated, so I need them to target only one field.

I've managed to create a single filter that target 2 different fields, if I target 3M and filter it by manufaturer it'll show the 4 regions; but if I target the South region under the 3M manufacturer, it'll only filter the "3M, South"; I need it to filter the full South field like if it were a single filter.

The idea is to have a Menu with only one link, so the filter will apply depending on wich column you click. I Attach the example workbook.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Single Action Filter for Multiple Columns
          Hari Ankem

Before you select a new region or manufacturer for the action filter to work, you should remember to always un-select the prior value. And the action filter needs to be modified to ensure that all values are displayed when the prior value is un-selected. One of them was the leaving the filter as-is and that could have been the cause of the issue. So, please set this accordingly and try again.

1.png  1.png

The updated workbook is attached.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Single Action Filter for Multiple Columns
            Franco Verri

Ok, I've tried that. But what I want is a single filter. If I click on a Manufacturer field, it'll filter the Shet 2 by manufacturer:

And if I click on a Region field, it'll filter the Sheet 2 by Region, regardless of the manufacturers

• 3. Re: Single Action Filter for Multiple Columns
              Hari Ankem

My apologies, I guess I didn't read your requirement carefully. I don't think it's possible to achieve the desired functionality with a single filter since Tableau does not identify which dimension you clicked in specific. For the action filter to work, Tableau considers the entire row to have been selected, and then passes the dimensions selected in the action filter setup to the target worksheet.

1 of 1 people found this helpful