8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2018 4:55 AM by Simon Runc

Using set as action?

Arsen Gishyan

Hi, guys.

I'm currently facing a task, which is:

Make dashboard with 20 pictures, each one is a set of values from the same field, let's say 'product group', which contains 10 product groups. At the same time, those sets can contain values from another set.

20 sets doesn't mean 200 distinct product groups.

So, I'm stuck with action.

I know, i can create 20 dashboards, each for every set and actions, but maybe there is a smarter way, which i imagine as:

Dashboard #1 - some kind of a menu with actions.

Dashboard #2 - calculations, graphs and so on with action "back" which returns to dashboard 1.

I click on "action 1" and jump to dashboard 2 with applied filters from action 1, then go back and click on "action 2" and jump to the same dashboard 2 and filters applied from action 2.

Thanks in advance!

Arsen

• 1. Re: Using set as action?
          Simon Runc

hi Arsen,

So making 20 dashboards seems a bit extreme!!

We can send actions across dashboards, and use images with "shapes" (just load them into your shapes in the Tableau Repository Folder)

In the attached I've used this method to lay out the shapes in a grid

Tableau Tip Tuesday: How to Create Small Multiple Line Charts

Then created this action

and then finally used this method

https://vizpainter.com/never-ending-navigation-buttons-that-deselect-themselves/

to create a self-deselecting back navigation

I also recently did a TDT Webinar on Actions that you might find useful (including the self deselecting navigation trick)

Think Data Thursday - Lights Camera Action with Simon Runc - YouTube

Hope that helps

• 2. Re: Using set as action?
            Arsen Gishyan

Yes, i've changed values to shapes and changed to custom shapes i needed.

The problem is - i still can't find a solution to a set filtering.

• 3. Re: Using set as action?
              Simon Runc

hi Arsen,

No sure I fully understand your set up (most likely me!!). You can set up a dimension off a set

IF [Set 1] THEN 'In Set 1'

ELSEIF [Set 2] THEN 'In Set 2'

END

and then use this in the level of detail, which will give you access to send this in the Action. If you work up an example that would really help.

• 4. Re: Using set as action?
                Arsen Gishyan

Simon, you are my savior!

God bless your mind.

• 5. Re: Using set as action?
                  Simon Runc

So...

IF [Set 1] THEN 'In Set 1'

ELSEIF [Set 2] THEN 'In Set 2'

END

worked! Awesome news and glad to help!

• 6. Re: Using set as action?
                    Arsen Gishyan

Yes, just create dimension out of sets, put action on it and THAT'S IT.

2 sheets, 1 dashboard and 1 action - simple and beautiful. Just wow.

• 7. Re: Using set as action?
                      Arsen Gishyan

I'm sad to say, but if i do this way, then cross-set brandgroups won't appear in every set they are selected, only in 1st one.

For example:

set 1 (group 1, group 2, group 3)

set 2 (group 4, group 3, group 5)

If i choose set 2, it will show only group 4 and group 5. group 2 is not shown. **** it, i was so happy (

• 8. Re: Using set as action?
                        Simon Runc

Ah! so yes you can't have the same dimension (column value) for a row of data that you treat in 2 different ways (i.e. being in Set 1 and Set 2). If you think about a spreadsheet where you have a row of data, and a Product Group for that row, and an assignment to a set based on the Product Group ...it can't be in both Set 1 and Set 2 (without duplicating the row).

In which case (without altering the data, so that it contains any required duplicate rows), I think you will need to create each sheet separately.

In the attached I've mocked up a quick example with 2 overlapping sets

Based on Categories

Set 1 | Appl, Binders, Bookcase

Set 2 | Bookcase, Chairs, Copiers

I set up a calculation for each set (so we can use it in an action)

[Set 1 Level]

IF [Set 1 | Appl, Binders, Bookcase] THEN 'Set 1'

END

[Set 2 Level]

IF [Set 2 | Bookcase, Chairs, Copiers] THEN 'Set 2' END

we don't actually need to equate them to equal a string each formula could just be  [Set 1 | Appl, Binders, Bookcase]  and [Set 2 | Bookcase, Chairs, Copiers]  equating to True/False, but it makes it easier to understand!

I then create a sheet for each, where I bring the relevant Set 1 or Set 2 calc into the Detail Tile, and also use the Set 1 or 2 (the actual set) as a filter

and

We can then bring each of these onto the dashboard and set up different actions for each...

and

and we're done!

Appreciate this is a bit more work, but as I said it's not really possible for a single row to take on 2 values for a single field (column). If I were doing this (especially with 20) I'd probably opt for some pre-data-work to create the duplicate rows, but it depends on the use case (in this example, that wouldn't be a problem as one row from any duplicate would only be sent at a time, so we wouldn't have duplicate measure problems.

Anyway hope that helps and makes sense