3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2018 10:39 PM by Peter Fakan

Spatial Join: Public Shape File

Derrell Pate

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to map the data of public zip codes against a polygon of the hurricane Florence. It seems the new 2018.2 .shp Spatial Join isn't working for me. I've tried the "intersect" selection in the Data Source Tab but no data is showing. Currently i've uploaded the data with a full outer join to include all the rows.

Is there a way to get the ST Intersect of the polygon path and the zip codes that are inside it?

Thanks in Advance!

• 1. Re: Spatial Join: Public Shape File
          siva Nageswara Rao

Hi @Derrell Pate

Please verify the data your using in the join condition.

Here your using the fields stormnum and Geoid10 but the data in the two fields are not having any matching data bcz of that its returning no records. Full outer join will give you the all the records in the two table irrespective of join.

Thanks,

Siva

Please mark this as answer if your question got resolved.

• 2. Re: Spatial Join: Public Shape File
            Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Derrell

Your two shape files are in different coordinate system, that's why the intersect doesn't work.

When you generate the storm shape, please make sure it uses the same coordinate as the zip shape file, in your sample, which is EPSG:4269

Hope this helps

ZZ

• 3. Re: Spatial Join: Public Shape File
              Peter Fakan

Hi Derrell,

I took a different approach to the polygon rabbit hole, I've replaced the background map with an image of the hurricane. You can overlay your postcodes over the top to obtain analysis (even turning on the superstore ones is interesting ).

To do this I just googled up a few open WMS servers and added them into Tableau - unfortunately this was more miss than hit but I ended up with a current one.

HTH 18.2 attached

Peter