Hi Everyone, I just want to share a way to upgrade Tableau Server 2018.1 to 2018.2 or 2018.2.1 or 2018.2.2.
I did a lot of trial and error on figuring out on how to upgrade from TabAdmin to the new TSM (Tableau Services Manager) CLI.
-Download the latest installers:
1. If you have an existing 2018.1 installed on your computer, you have to uninstall it.
You may do a manual backup using tabadmin backup command. Uninstalling the Tableau Server 2018.1 will
create automatic backup in C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server if you select the backup data before uninstall.
Move the backup file created in C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\uninstall-2018.1.tsbak to other folder.
2. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Tableau Server and C:\ProgramData\Tableau
3. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\ and click Change My Environment Variables
If you see (4) Tableau Variables please delete these:
These are reference used by the installers. So you can change the installer default directory and required to be deleted
for fresh installation.
4.Download CCleaner application and install it.This tool will clear junk files, left over files from installers and damage registry.
Run the registry Tab , scan and Fix selected Issues.
5. Enable your User Account Control to Always notify. So we can see the Tableau servers changes to our PC. (More on Part B)
5. Restart your PC.
Installing the Tableau Server 2018.2.1,2018.2.2, 2018.2.0.
1. Run the installer of Tableau Server.
2. I recommend to install the Tableau Server in C: Drive. or select the drive you want it to install.
3. Wait for the installer it to finish extraction.
4. After extracting it must show "Create new Tableau Server Installation". If these option does not show
and only click install button is available then repeat Part A.
5. Now by proceeding next the Tableau Server will initialize.
There are (4) Services will be inserted to firewall and needs approval and these are
Just Press Allow Access button.
6. After Initializing the installer will open a browser asking you to log in.
1. Before Logging go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services.
2. You will see (6) Tableau Services
1. Tableau Server Administration Agent
2. Tableau Server Administration Controller
3. Tableau Server Client File Service
4. Tableau Server Coordination Service (Ensemble 1)
5. Tableau Server License Manager
6. Tableau Server Service Manager
Note: if you did not see the Tableau Server Service Manager on the list, its okay, this service will also be installed
during Initialization. Also upon initialization the Log On As settings will be also replicated automatically.
3. Double click starting from Administration Agent> Log On Tab > Click this account
Click the button Browse. And Browse the administrator account by typing Administrator and click Check Names and
click Ok Button.
4. Do this for other 5 Services. and the result should be like this.
5. Restart the (6) services by right clicking and select restart.
6. This is where you must log in. Log in to https://<host-name>:8850
7. Fill up the serial Number and activate (Provide proxy settings if necessary)
8. Register the information needed.
9. In the Run as service account. Provide the same info for username ex. <host-name>\administrator and apply fillup password and complete the form.
10. Click Initialize.
11. Please wait if it jumps to 5/40 and it will hopefully works.
Backup Data Restoration
1. Click this link on how to restore the .tsbak file to your new version of Tableau Server.
If you have questions please reply to this post.
Tested in: Windows Server 2016 Standard, Windows 10 Professional.