Hi Everyone, I just want to share a way to upgrade Tableau Server 2018.1 to 2018.2 or 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1
I did a lot of trial and error on figuring out on how to upgrade from TabAdmin to the new TSM (Tableau Services Manager) CLI.
-Download the latest installers:
Note: It is recommended to have a testing environment first before upgrading your Main Tableau Server,
Doing a Tableau Server upgrade testing in a live production will interrupt your Tableau services.
1. If you have an existing 2018.1 installed on your computer, you have to uninstall it.
You may do a manual backup using tabadmin backup command. Uninstalling the Tableau Server 2018.1 will
create automatic backup in C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server if you select the backup data before uninstall.
Move the backup file created in C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\uninstall-2018.1.tsbak to other folder.
2. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Tableau Server and C:\ProgramData\Tableau
3. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\ and click Change My Environment Variables
If you see (4) Tableau Variables please delete these:
These are reference used by the installers. So you can change the installer default directory and required to be deleted
for fresh installation.
If you happen to see
Please delete it also.
This variable only inserted if there is an error occurred while doing fresh installation. just like this example
4.Download CCleaner application and install it.This tool will clear junk files, left over files from installers and damage registry.
Run the registry Tab , scan and Fix selected Issues.
If you run the CCleaner tool, the Tableau Server Services will become like this.
5. Enable your User Account Control to Always notify. So we can see the Tableau servers changes to our PC. (More on Part B)
5. Restart your PC.
Installing the Tableau Server 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1
1. Run the installer of Tableau Server.
2. I recommend to install the Tableau Server in C: Drive. or select the drive you want it to install.
3. Wait for the installer it to finish extraction.
4. After extracting it must show "Create new Tableau Server Installation". If these option does not show
and only click install button is available then repeat Part A.
5. Now by proceeding next the Tableau Server will initialize.
There are (4) Services will be inserted to firewall and needs approval and these are
Just Press Allow Access button.
6. After Initializing the installer will open a browser asking you to log in.
1. Before login, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services.
2. You will see (6) Tableau Services
1. Tableau Server Administration Agent
2. Tableau Server Administration Controller
3. Tableau Server Client File Service
4. Tableau Server Coordination Service (Ensemble 1)
5. Tableau Server License Manager
6. Tableau Server Service Manager
Note: if you did not see the Tableau Server Service Manager on the list, its okay, this service will also be installed
during Initialization. Also upon initialization the Log On As settings will be also replicated automatically.
3. Double click starting from Administration Agent> Log On Tab > Click this account
Click the button Browse. And Browse the administrator account by typing Administrator and click Check Names and
click Ok Button.
4. Do this for other 5 Services. and the result should be like this.
5. Restart the (6) services by right clicking and select restart.
6. This is where you must log in. Log in to https://<host-name>:8850
7. Fill up the serial Number and activate (Provide proxy settings if necessary)
8. Register the information needed.
9. In the Run as service account. Provide the same info for username ex. <host-name>\administrator and apply fillup password and complete the form.
10. Click Initialize.
11. Please wait if it jumps to 5/40 and it will hopefully works.
Backup Data Restoration
1. Click this link on how to restore the .tsbak file to your new version of Tableau Server.
Tableau Server Database Drivers and connectors
If you happen to remove or uninstalled the database drivers from the previous setup,
You may download and reinstall the required drivers.
Tableau Server Database Driver Supported:
(OData,OneDrive,Oracle,Oracle Eloqua,Oracle Essbase,Other Databases (JDBC),Other Databases (ODBC),PDF File
,Pivotal Greenplum Database,PostgreSQL,Presto,Progress OpenEdge,Salesforce,SAP HANA,SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse,
SAP Sybase ASE,SAP Sybase IQ,ServiceNow ITSM,SharePoint Lists,Snowflake,Spark SQL,Spatial File,Splunk,Statistical File,
Teradata,Teradata OLAP Connector,Text File,TIBCO Data Virtualization,Vertica,Web Data Connector)
Tableau Server Upgrade from 2018.2.x to 2018.3.0
Upgrading to 2018.3.0 does not require for the older versions of 2018.2.x to be uninstalled.
Just run the 2018.3.0 installer directly. Download the latest version Tableau Server | Tableau Software
1. Backup first the current Tableau server 2018.2.x version for safety.
tsm maintenance backup -f ts_backup -d
2. Your Windows Account should be the local administrator. Execute the installer directly.
3. The installer will just have buttons to proceed next and wait.
4. The installer will now extract the files.
5. Now check only the 'Automatically launch the upgrade script' and press ok button.
6. Now you will see the command prompt and enter the administrator password.
The upgrading process will takes time. Just wait and monitor it.
Tip: In my experience using command prompt, sometimes it freezes or you do not
notice that the command is not moving or proceeding next or stop. Just press right click anywhere inside the
command prompt window from time to time to make it refresh. (I usually experience it
always when upgrading Tableau Server.)
Below are my screenshot of upgrading process:
After the upgrade script, run the TSM shortcut.
The server will require to register only information. Fill up the form and press register.
After register, it will proceed to this state. all services are shutdown.
On the upper right click the drop arrow and click Start Tableau Server
It will tell you that it takes time. Just click confirm button
Finally it will restart all the services . Just wait.
Finally your server is now upgraded.
If you have questions please reply to this post.
Windows Server 2016 Standard
Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650v4 (12 Cores, 24 Threads) 2.20Ghz
64 GB RAM DDR4
2TB SAS HDD
Windows 10 Professional.
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz
128 GB PCIE SSD+1TB SATA HDD