3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2018 11:35 PM by Ritesh Bisht

When we will be using the " Continuous Date" ?

Narendar Devasani

We have been using the Discrete Date so far. 

Can you please help me to understand where we will be using the Continous Date?  What could be real-time use cases for it?

thank you.

• 1. Re: When we will be using the " Continuous Date" ?
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Narendar,

Discrete fields draw headers; continuous fields draw axes.

When you want to add some reference line in your date field then go with continuous. if you are in discrete then it will not allow to create ref line.

Sales by Month Discrete

Notice that there is a discrete header for each month.

In the second chart, I am using the same exact data, but I have changed the Date dimension from discrete to continuous:

Sales by Month Continuous

As you can see, I now have a continuous axis of time. Since the axis is continuous, I cannot change the order of the dates; they follow a chronological order from oldest date on the left to most recent date on the right. On the other hand, when the Date dimension is being used as discrete as pictured in the first image, I am able change the order of the dates. For example, I could sort the bars in descending order, with the month with the highest sales first, and the month with the lowest sales last. Which brings me to my second rule when determining whether I should use a field as discrete or continuous:

Discrete fields can be sorted; continuous fields cannot

So how you might use this in the real world. If you know that you want to look at a trend over a continuous period of time, you would want to use a continuous date, which will be colored green on the view. If your analysis requires you to have discrete marks that can be sorted, you would use the field as discrete, which will be colored blue on the view.

• 2. Re: When we will be using the " Continuous Date" ?
            Hari Ankem

See if you can understand this by yourself:

1. Discrete & Continuous values for Year of Order Date

1.png  1.png

2. Discrete & Continuous values for Year and Quarter of Order Date

1.png

1.png

3. Discrete and Continuous values for Year and Month of Order Date

1.png

1.png

• 3. Re: When we will be using the " Continuous Date" ?
              Ritesh Bisht

Hi Narendar,

I have created a Video on the same DISCRETE VS CONTINUOUS -The difference Demo..Tableau - YouTube

Hope it helps !

Thanks,

Ritesh