11 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2019 1:37 PM by Tamara Augsten

What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?

Kyle Gupton

You can use the following items on a dashboard you want to be accessible. All of these items support keyboard navigation and are compatible with assistive technologies like screen reading software.

Dashboard Element

Tableau Version

Workbook Tabs

Dashboard Title

View Title

View Caption (when visible)

View Data Page

List Filter

Text Object

Web Page Object

Categorical Legend

Dropdown List Filter

Toolbar

Image Object

Button Object

We plan to add to this list over time, but for now if it's not on this list (I'm looking at you Parameters), it's not accessible.

Message was edited by: Kyle Gupton Converted list to a table. Added which Tableau version in which we added accessibility for the element. Updated list to include Image Object and Button Object.

• 1. Re: What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?
          Chris McClellan

Great start, but it really needs to include parameters and tooltips as well.

• 2. Re: What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?
            Kyle Gupton

Thank you for the feedback Chris. Those items are definitely at the top of our list.

Kyle

• 3. Re: What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?
              Elizabeth Graham

I would love to see parameters work with keyboard navigation. Not having that functionality causes some serious design limitations/challenges, if the end product needs to be wcag compliant.

• 4. Re: What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?
                Kyle Gupton

Hi Elizabeth -

Absolutely. It's definitely a big limiter. I'd say that and date filters are the most important gaps to close.

Kyle

• 5. Re: What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?
                  Amar Raol

Sheet with Image for Action/Navigation.

On my dashboard I have a sheet with an image (Home icon) which I use to navigate to the Home dashboard. I use the Dashboard Action of 'on select' for this functionality.

Using keyboard navigation, when my focus is on this sheet (Home icon) and I click 'Enter' key - It will open up the 'View data' popup window.

is there a way to achieve the Navigation using keyboard?

The reason I need to use a sheet for the Image (instead of the Image object) is because I need to implement data level security. I have to show the Home Icon in some scenario and hide it in some scenario.

Any help is appreciated.

• 6. Re: What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?
                    Kyle Gupton

Hi Amar -

I assume your Home image is a shape mark on the underlying sheet. Is that correct? In that case, there's not a way to use the keyboard to "press" that image. Opening the View data page is the behavior since what you are activating is actually a viz.

As of Tableau 2018.3, the best option for navigation is to use the Button object, though there's no way (unless someone has discovered some crazy way to do it, like people sometimes do with Tableau!) to get it to show/hide in different scenarios like you are describing.

Is there another potential design for the dashboard that would satisfy your requirements?

Kyle

• 7. Re: What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?
                      phiphi.lau

Hi Kyle,

My agency's web team was unable to navigate using a keyboard on text objects and dashboard titles.  The dashboard titles will read when mouse hovering over but not by using the keyboard.  My web team uses the NVDA software.  I also confirmed this issue by testing with the ChromeVox extension.   I am using Tableau Desktop 2019.1.0.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

• 8. Re: What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?
                        Kyle Gupton

Reading these items with NVDA is definitely possible. How familiar is your team with NVDA? Reading titles and text boxes requires the use of the the NVDA Browse mode, which can be somewhat confusing without good facility with the tool. Browse mode in NVDA allows the user to directly access HTML headings. Dashboard titles are Level 1 headings in HTML. View titles are level 2 headings, and filter/legend titles are level 3 headings.

Our accessibility consultant, Equal Entry, provided us with some additional help using NVDA with Tableau dashboards, and it does address reading text in text boxes. It's in my queue to publish as a FAQ article (your question is a good kick in my **** to get me to do that soon), but here is the information. I hope this helps!

Non Visual Desktop Access (NVDA) Instructions

Because Tableau embeds are HTML application, we have found that some additional navigation instructions are helpful.

Reading text within a Tableau dashboard

With focus on the Tableau Tab control (in this case “SAT Performance of admitted Students”, “Percentage of Students by SAT Decile” and “Number of Students by SAT Score”), ensure that you are in Browse Mode and then arrow down to read any text included in the dashboard.

Using the Elements List dialog

NVDA’s Elements List dialog is context sensitive. When focus is outside of the Tableau embed it will expose information about the web page itself. While focus is within the Tableau embedded web application it will show information pertaining only to the Tableau application.

Kyle

• 9. Re: What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?
                          Tamara Augsten

Hi Kyle,

Thank you so much for this - it has been very helpful while developing accessible dashboards.

A number of the dashboards I am converting into an accessible format use Parameters which are not accessible. I was wondering if you had any sense of whether or not Parameters may become accessible (the ability to tab through etc) in an upcoming update of Tableau or if they are something that are difficult to make accessible.

Just wanted to get a sense of timelines and future accessibility direction.

thanks!

Tamara

• 10. Re: What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?
                            Kyle Gupton

Hi Tamara -

We are actually working on making parameter controls accessible, though I don't have a timeframe I can share. It's a bit tricky as it's part of a revamping of our existing filter and parameter widgets to use a common widget library that we've developed internally for use throughout Tableau web interfaces. But, it is indeed something we're working on; I recently reviewed a specification document for the work.

What specific kinds of parameters (list, number, Boolean, etc?) are you using in your dashboards?

Kyle

• 11. Re: What items can I use on a dashboard I want to be accessible?
                              Tamara Augsten

Hi Kyle,

Sorry for the late response. Mostly list parameters are what we are using. I've figured out a few fixes for avoiding them (mostly lots of pivoting the backend data so its very long instead of wide) but I've had the need for parameters come up again. For example, I have a map where you can filter to show the percentage of people within neighbourhoods that responded to a survey question and you can use a filter to view people who responded "all the time" vs "rarely" vs "sometimes" etc. I would love to be able to have the all the time map be a range of blues (sequential), the rarely be red, the sometimes be purple, etc. The only way I can figure out how to do that is with parameters (https://interworks.com/blog/daustin/2016/01/08/how-dynamic-map-coloration-parameters-tableau/ ) but those are not accessible.

thanks for your insight about the current state.

keeping my fingers crossed for parameter accessibility soon.

tamara