4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2018 6:37 AM by Jennie Chang

some action filters don't work

Jennie Chang

I have a dashboard that has 6 action filters but some don't work.  After reading some discussions, I make sure to set the action filters to apply to all worksheets.  Unfortunately, I'm still not able to use 2 of the action filters and I can't figure out why!  See below for an example.  In the example, I am able to click on any combination of [Ship Year], [Region], [Ship Mode], [Segment].  When I try to click on a [State], nothing happens.  When I try to click a [subcategory], nothing happens, but clicking on category in the [subcategory] chart does filter other charts properly.  Attached is the workbook (version 10.5.0).  Thanks in advance for your help!Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 4.42.14 PM.png

• 1. Re: some action filters don't work
          Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Jennie

Not sure which part is not working to the state filter, when I click on California furniture, it shows below to me. Can you show screenshot that can reflect your issue?

ZZ

• 2. Re: some action filters don't work
            Ritesh Bisht

Hi Chang,

The reason for that is --->You have selected Sub Category in the source and target both

Remove the subcategory from the Target (Your Source and Target sheets should be different ,right ?)

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 6.42.46 AM.png

Now I can see the changes with each category .

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 6.43.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 6.45.27 AM.png

Please mark the answer as CORRECT & HELPFUL if it really helped you so that it can help others as well.

Thanks,

Ritesh

• 3. Re: some action filters don't work
              Jennie Chang

Hi Zhouyi, I wasn't able to click on the word "California" to filter other charts, but I was able to click on the word "2016", "West", etc. to filter other charts.

• 4. Re: some action filters don't work
                Jennie Chang

Hi Ritesh, I went back and changed the source and target for subcategory and state and it works now partially...  what I don't understand from a conceptual point  is why I don't need to do it for ship year, region, ship mode and segment.

The reason I said it works partially is that when I keep filtering down, some charts resets to all data again.

I found this other post Unable to apply multiple action filters  about  making a copy of the field I'm coloring and it seems to work.

I'm still not clear on when I need to make sure

- source and target sheets don't overlap

- apply action filters to multiple sheets,

- apply context filter

I will play around with doing a combination of the 3 things and report back.