3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2018 9:59 PM by Ritesh Bisht

.TDSX vs .TDE

Narendar Devasani

May I know the difference between.TDSX and .TDE ?

in the real world when we will use .tdsx and .tde?

• 1. Re: .TDSX vs .TDE
          lei.chen.0

Hello Narendar,

The definitions could be found here, Tableau File Types and Folders

You can connect to both of them from Tableau Desktop.

The difference is TDSX contains data source connection information.

Regards

Lei

• 2. Re: .TDSX vs .TDE
            suman kumar

Hi Narendar Devasani

Here is the difference:-

Tableau Data Extract Files (.tde)

Where: Data extract files are simply a local copy of a subset of an entire data source, and thus doesn't store the connection string to the data source and cannot be refreshed. The extract doesn't contain any dashboards or worksheets and only shares the underlying data. One benefit of using an extract in comparison to a live connection is that it helps to improve performance.

When: It can be used to share data between colleagues and clients as well as enable you to work offline on a data set.

How: Click on Data on the data toolbar at the top left of the screen. Choose the data source and select Extract Data. From there you can filter to choose only a select number of columns or you can simply click Extract at the bottom of the page, and that will create a .tde file.

Tableau Packaged Data Source (.tdsx)

Where: Similar to the Tableau Data Source, the Packaged Data Source file contains the included custom fields, aggregations and database connection, but has the added bonus of including the data as a .tde within the .tdsx file.

When: In the case where your colleague or client has access to the data source and would like a version of the data that includes all metadata changes, sending the data as a packaged data source would be the best solution. The .tdsx doesn't contain any worksheets or dashboards but it does include all the extracted data. The recipient of the .tdsx can refresh the extract as the data source connection is included within the .tdsx file. Additionally, because the file has the data packaged within it, the recipient can use it offline. Lastly, a further benefit of a .tdsx is that you can unzip the data file and save it to your desktop if you wish to keep a hard copy of the data and open it in excel.

How: Select Data on the top toolbar and choose a data source from the drop-down menu. Choose Add To Saved Data Sources and save the file as a Tableau Packaged Data Source.

Please mark correct & Helpful if it works for you.

Best

Suman

• 3. Re: .TDSX vs .TDE
              Ritesh Bisht

Hi Narendar ,

Data Source (.tds) - contains only the information you need to connect to the data source, including the following:

• Data source type
              • Connection information specified on the data source page; for example, database server address, port, location of local files, tables
              • Groups, sets, calculated fields, bins
              • Default field properties; for example, number formats, aggregation, and sort order

Use this format if everyone who will use the data source has access to the underlying file or database defined in the connection information. For example, the underlying data is a CSV file on your computer, and you are the only person who will use it; or the data is hosted on a cloud platform, and your colleagues all have the same access you do.

So, please note the above lines "the underlying data is a CSV file on your computer, and you are the only person who will use it;"

Hence, I would rather go with .tdsx so that I can share my this data source with my colleagues

Packaged Data Source (.tdsx) - contains all information in the data source (.tds) file, as well as a copy of any local file-based data or extracts.

A packaged data source is a single zipped file. Use this format if you want to share your data source with people who do not have access to the underlying data that is defined in the connection information.

Now that data can be be in the form of extract or live , that depends upon the way I have selected (it will work with both )

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 10.14.30 AM.png

But Why I should go with extract ?

Want to deep dive ? The Information Lab - Read our blog - Tableau Extracts–What / Why / How etc

Thanks,

Ritesh