2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2018 12:13 PM by Joe Oppelt

Incorrect Data or Corrupted Sheet in Published Viz

Thomas Antenucci

Hi All!

An end-user recently came to me asking why the numbers on a bar chart published to our Tableau Server looked inflated (think thousands instead of hundreds). I looked at the viz and verified the chart was showing the incorrect numbers, so I downloaded a copy of the workbook and opened it up in desktop. Sure enough the numbers are still wrong, so I *check* and *double check* to be sure there aren't any filters, actions, or extra fields on the viz that are causing the numbers to look bigger than they should be. I also refreshed the data source on the server and in the workbook, dragging off all of the fields and adding them back, even dragging in other unrelated fields, but the aggregation doesn't change and the numbers are still wrong (the same exact wrong numbers that the end user saw).

Here's the rub, when I create a completely new sheet in the workbook and recreate an *exact* copy of the viz, the new sheet has the correct numbers. Same filters, no actions, the exact same thing but the data is correct. I even downloaded a raw copy of the data source from the server and recreated the chart in a blank workbook and I got the correct numbers.

Has anyone seen this issue with a 'corrupted' sheet that is showing incorrect data? It seemed like no matter how hard I tried to work the original sheet 'corrupted' sheet, the only way I got around the problem was creating a completely new one. Any thoughts into what might have caused this? The data source was originally from a SQL server, extracted and published to the Tableau Server without any filters.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Incorrect Data or Corrupted Sheet in Published Viz
          Michael Hesser

Hi Thomas;

Interesting mystery!

Is your SQL query the only method you're using to generate the original (faulty) file?

As I was reading about your predicament, it reminded me of instances when-- in the original file construction-- the file was set to APPEND rather than replace/recreate the data. While this meant the first view looked fine, additional updates replicated data and inflated the numbers.

A quick check you can do is compare the number of records in your bad file with your good extract and see if they match: if the former is heavily inflated, it's likely that you are somehow duplicating data elements.

It's also possible to erringly duplicate data elements within your SQL code; but since your extract worked fine, I don't think this is an issue.

Perhaps a more likely option is that a unique delimiter got left out-- meaning something that uniquely identifies measure-- leading to unexpected aggregations. You might see this when totaling sales by CITY, for example. If you fail to include STATE, Columbus, Ohio will be aggregated with ~18 other cities named Columbus in the USA (ok... goofy example maybe).

I'm uncertain if these kernels of thought can help you out... if not-- someone smarter than me will be by soon!

Good luck! -- Michael

• 2. Re: Incorrect Data or Corrupted Sheet in Published Viz
            Joe Oppelt

Take a look at the video in this link:

Video demonstrates how to anonymize your workbook/data

If you create your own data source in excel as shown in the video and do "Replace data source" in a temp copy of your workbook, do the two sheets show the same sort of discrepancy?  (Note:  You don't have to pull out all your data into excel.  See if the discrepancy occurs with 100 rows or so of your data.)

I'm suggesting this so that if you go through this exercise and still see the problem, you'll have an uploadable packaged workbook that you can share here.  Pare out everything else except the two sheets.  I'm curious to take a look.