3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2018 7:40 PM by Joe Oppelt

Using Calculated Rank Filter Across Multiple Worksheets

CEE Visualizations

Hi all,

I am working on a viz that sheet swaps between a table and scatter plot (see attached draft version). Both views allow the viz to be filtered by city. I want to retain the city's rank even when filtered so I used a table calculation (Using Lookup(min(...),0) described here https://community.tableau.com/message/516072?et=watches.email.thread#516072 ). 

However, it seems that calculated field filters cannot easily be applied to multiple sheets like a normal filter can so that would mean having two "filter by city" filters on the dashboard, which is confusing for a user. I've tried to:

(1) Apply the calculated filter multiple pages using this approach: Creating a Global LOOKUP(MIN(...),0) Filter with a Parameter for "Jedi" Filter and Table Calc Trick

and

(2) To do "sheet popping" to hide the city filter not in use (as described here: Sheet popping behavior has changed in 10.5 (actually starting with 10.4) )

However, I was unable to successfully implement either of these approaches.

Any ideas what to try next or tips to make either of the proposed solutions work properly?

Thanks so much,

Carly

• 1. Re: Using Calculated Rank Filter Across Multiple Worksheets
          Joe Oppelt

Can't apply table calc filters across sheets.

Each sheet has its own table, and a table calc's calculation is specific to the table where it is getting used.

That's why you find that you need separate filters for separate sheets.

Question:  From the looks of how you have it set up in your sample workbook, you might need a multi-select filter.  Is that true?  (Or is it just set that way in the sample, but actually you'll just be doing single-select (or ALL) in real life?)

If single select, you can control that with a parameter.

I suspect that's not what you're going to need here, though.

• 2. Re: Using Calculated Rank Filter Across Multiple Worksheets
            CEE Visualizations

Hi Joe,

Yes I need a multi-select filter.

Do you think its possible to do a sheet popping trick you identified for tableau 10.4 (and above) in this situation?

Thanks,

Carly

• 3. Re: Using Calculated Rank Filter Across Multiple Worksheets
              Joe Oppelt

Popping isn't going to do anything about the inability to apply table calcs to multiple sheets,  You're going to have to have separate filters for each sheet.

Now, you CAN pop specific filters associated sheets.  Essentially you'll have x-many identical-looking filters.

In the attached 10.5 example, I have exactly that happening.  See Dashboard2.  I have 3 sheets.  In this case I have different filters for each sheet, but you'll just have to keep your identical filters straight.  (Notice that I colored the titles of these filters differently.  That can help you keep yours straight.)

When your user selects something from the table calc filter on your sheet 1, that selection will have to be re-selected if they swap to sheet 2.

Play with the parameter at the top of the dashboard to swap the sheets.