Any luck if you reload the extension, or removing from the Dashboard and adding it again?
You may have this link already but just FYI it has info on managing extensions in Tableau Server
Looks like it must have been an issue with 2018.2. Upgrading to 2018.2.1 resolved the issue. Based on experience, this is the version to use it seems.
Hi Rob, thanks for the update, glad to hear 2018.2.1 resolved this!
Hi, I just upgraded from 2018.1.2 to 2018.2.3 and I am seeing the same issue, has anyone else in 2018.2.3 experienced this issue ?
Any ideas on how to resolve it?
We have the same problem with 2018.2.3. Did you find a solution?
I just got off a call with Tableau Support they are moving the ticket to tier 2, no solution was given at this point.
I will reply here if I get a solution.
Actually is that tab where I get the error, as soon as I click on "Extension" I get the error, and making any changes there won't get saved, when hitting save another error will pop up.
Anyway thanks throwing your ideas in, it might help someone else.
I manage to fix the issue by configuring the Coordination service, one of the environments where I was having this issue a 3 node cluster, so I follow the steps in Deploy a Coordination Service Ensemble - Tableau by deploying the coordination service to the 3 nodes the issue was fixed.
I also had this problem in a 2 node cluster, so I did the same with a small modification, instead of adding the coordination service to the 2 nodes, I changed it from node1 to node2, I follow the guide in the link above, but in step 4 I used
tsm topology deploy-coordination-service -n node2,
This fixed the issue for me in 3 different environments, of course I was trying to resolve a different problem, but it solved the extensions issue on the way.
Comment below if this helps so other users can try it too.
Hi Manuel, thanks for the info. We are only running on one node right now. I tried running to command for node1 but it says that the coordination service is already running.
I ran the cleanup command as well. But it didn't seem to help with our error condition.
I have opened a ticket with support. Will see what comes of it and post back...
I was able to fix this issue today with a server I manage by these steps:
1) creating a new site.
2) add extensions to the site by url
3) asking user to only post workbooks utilizing one extension at a time.
These conditions seem to work fine and were from the guidance of the Tableau Prod management team.
The next maintenance release should address this issue as well for existing sites.
Thanks for sharing Patrick - it appears this would work.
I'll have to wait for the maintenance release as I'm not going to send users to another site right now.
As a side note, I always uncheck 'enable unknown extension to run....' for every site since third party extension is not safe to run unless you know exactly what it does. We are giving Tableau Product Team the feedback to uncheck this flag by default. This is similar as guest account, which is powerful but also with big data vulnerability.
The recommended extension config should be as followings:
- Unknown extensions can’t run on GBI Tableau server
- Every extension has to be added to the safe list by server team
- Only https://*.yourcompany.com/xxx URL can be in safe list