6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2018 4:21 PM by Tony Fahd

Side by side Chart

Tony Fahd

I am attaching a workbook where I need to see a side by side chart that shows the volume of cars by city and year. I like to see the city on my X axis, the volume on my Y axis and I like to see the year as legend. I can't seem to figure this out. Below is a chart that I created in excel and this is exactly how I like to see it in Tableau. Any help is appreciated

• 1. Re: Side by side Chart
          suman kumar

Hi,

This is what I got it.

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 11.39.30 PM.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Side by side Chart
            Tony Fahd

Yes, i got this too, but I like to do it the same way I was able to do it in excel. any ideas?

• 3. Re: Side by side Chart
              Michael Gillespie

Well, that's the way Tableau creates that kind of viz, and it's not the same as Excel.

The closest you can get is right-click on the year values below the bars and unselect "Show Header".  That will remove the year value from each bar.

Tableau will place the column names (in this case, City) above the bars.

• 4. Re: Side by side Chart
                Ankit Patel

Hi Tony,

The only other way is if you were to flip axis as shown below - its solving the purpose but differently - instead with this bars are flipped to x-axis. Also for Year - i did un-check "Show Header"

Hope this helps.

• 5. Re: Side by side Chart
                  Okechukwu Ossai

Hi Tony,

Something like this?

There are few workarounds but one approach will be to use the INDEX() function. See attached workbook and steps below.

Right click on [Index], Select Compute Using the dimension which defines the color, in this case 'Year'.

Uncheck 'Show header'.

Index computed using Year and show header is unchecked.

Notice the space between the bars. You can reduce that by taking the Size slider to the max.

The above steps gets us very close. However, it is not very visually appealing.

There are few things you can do here. First choose Fixed instead of Manual in the Size options like below.

This should do it. However, you won't be able to reduce the width of the bars any further.

An alternative will be to use Manual resizing with a dummy calculated field.

Change Size option to 'Manual and drag [Resizer] to the Size marks card.

You can remove the grid lines by going to Format -> Lines.

Hope this helps.

Ossai

• 6. Re: Side by side Chart
                    Tony Fahd

Thanks I tried all these options. I thought there is a way around it. Thanks for the help!