1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 17, 2018 2:44 PM by patrick.byrne.0

Unable to reset user input parameter value in Tableau Server

Bhupesh Gupta

I am very new to tableau server and trying to make a report which will take user input and present the data in tabular form which can be downloaded as csv or pdf by the user.

I created a parameter as I wanted to allow the user to enter multiple values. I made use of following link and successfully did it.

Create a Multiple Value Selection Parameter | Tableau Software

I did all this on Tableau desktop and publish it on the server where my end user can interact with the report and download as required. Problem I am facing is a user enter something into parameter value but unable to empty the input field. It always keep the last entry in it. It kind of weird and there must be something I will be missing. User should be able to clear out a filter if he don't want to use it but due to this issue they cannot. It always expect something in there.

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Unable to reset user input parameter value in Tableau Server
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Bhupesh,

Is the default/current value set to the number that it always changes back to after being cleared?

Try recreating the view but set the default value to 0 (if you are looking to have this be null, there would need to be additional calculations to be done. To return null for when the [parameter] = 0.) this will make the parameter reset to 0 after time the value is cleared.

Above will show 0 when the value is cleared as the current vlaue is what the parameter is reset to when the parameter value is cleared.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick