1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 28, 2018 10:26 AM by Ankit Patel

Tableau Server does not update when I include external files

Wesley Santana

I have some dashboards published on the tableau server, connected to a published data source. This data source updates every day in the morning, but the worksheets do not.

According to this tutorial:

Re: Data Sources Refreshing but Workbook Not Updating

Just uncheck the option to include external files when publishing the worksheet, and it's solved. I tested it and it worked, but with this option unchecked the images from my dashboard do not appear on the tableau server.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem without fading my images? or a way to use the images on the panel without having to attach them?

• 1. Re: Tableau Server does not update when I include external files
          Ankit Patel

Hi Wesley,

If your source is using standalone file (.csv, .xls, etc) then you will need to move the file to a a network location or network share and when you connect to it in Tableau Desktop you need to use the UNC path name in Data connection window (i.e. \\10.xxx.yyy.zzz\tableau files\data\mydata.csv rather than Z:\\data\mydata.csv).

1. Make sure that the full UNC path is used to connect to the data source in the workbook. Please reference the below Tableau Knowledge Base Finding the UNC Path of a Published Live Connection | Tableau Software | Updating Underlying Data in a Tableau Server Workbook That Uses a Live Connection to Excel | Tableau Software article for additional information and instructions.

2. Check if the data source (i.e., Microsoft Access or Microsoft Excel) is connected to a file located on a shared drive. If the file is located on a shared drive, use the full UNC path. Note: A UNC path is the full path of a resource or file that is stored on the computer, which includes the full computer name, drive, path to the file, and file name. For example, a text file with a mapped path to D:\datasource.txt has a UNC path that looks like the following: \\workstation1\d$\datasource.txt, where “workstation1” is the full computer name.

3. Check to make sure that the Tableau Server Run As User account has permission to access the file on the shared drive.

Hope this helps in resolving your issue. If you find it helpful please mark it correct so others can benefit from it.

Best regards,

Ankit

1 of 1 people found this helpful