Few questions that come to mind right away:
1. How is the data connected when Published online? - Live or Extract - in either case is it the same behavior on Tableau Desktop? Try publishing a Packaged workbook to Tableau Online and see if the error goes away.
2. Have you tried re-publishing the dashboard to check if the issue exist's or does it go away?
3. Is it only acting this way with Parameters? How about any Quick Filters - Do you get similar error?
Try few things above and let us know.
Thanks for your response. Here are the answers to your questions:
1. The data is connected via the 'live' way. I need to use the 'live' connection as the parameters reside in the datasource (as shown in the excerpt below):
If I would not use the 'live' connection I had to constantly refresh the extracts after changing the parameter(s).
Publishing the dashboard as TWBX only involves saving the file as .twbx. Then opening it and going to ->Server->Publish Workbook ... ->Publish right? The same way as you would publish a .twb right? If this is the correct way then I published it as a twbx. The problem, however, still persists.
2. Yes I tried to re-publish the dashboard several times, but the problem was not solved by doing that.
3. I cannot use quick filters, unfortunately, as I want to filter across multiple datasources using only two parameters (the periode and jaar parameters)
Thanks for your support.
IS there any way you can share a sample workbook with packaged dataset - preferably with the parameters? I can only try to publish it on one of my Server to see what is causing the error.
As a last resource - have you tried adding a New Datasource and Replacing it with existing one? Is the database connection available to Tableau Online (are you using Tableau Bridge and if so is your name listed against the data connection you are using?
Sorry not much help here but I am also running out of options. Maybe if above doesn't work you might want to email firstname.lastname@example.org to let them know about the issue and one of the engineer can perhaps help you.
Thanks again for your response.
There is still one thing that comes to my mind based on your advise to use filters. I can still get rid of the parameters in my datasources and implement normal filters (as shown in: As requested, you can filter across data sources in Tableau 10 | Tableau Software ). All my custom SQLs come from the same underlying source, so it should work by selecting 'apply to worksheets_>All using related data sources'.
I will try the above and see if it works. If not I will try to publish a sample workbook so that you can look whether you can get it to work on your server. Tomorrow (I live in the Netherlands) I will let you know whether the filter solution has worked out and solved the problem or not.
I will keep you posted!
Sounds good Rico - There are possibilities for creating cross database or multiple data source filters if you can without the use of Parameter. With that said though I would hate to have Parameter's not working on Online vs Desktop. Keep me posted.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
As promised, here is my answer. I restructured my queries such that the parameters did not have to reside in the custom SQL datasources themselves anymore. Moreover, I created a parameter in Tableau and related this parameter to my Periode and Jaar fields. Now it works and the data refreshes after changing the parameter!
I guess Tableau online cannot really handle parameters that reside in the datasource itself, as shown below:
The lesson that I learned is that, instead, you are better off with parameters that do not reside in the datasource itself.
Thanks Ankit for helping me out by giving the filter/parameter advice.
Glad you are able to find the solution. Still it will bug me that there is a bug in Tableau Online :-)