3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2018 2:28 PM by Sarah Battersby

Cannot access MS Sql Geography data

Michael Porter

Hi,

I am trying to access a MS SQL table with a column with geography data in Tableau 2018.2. After I connect to the datasource and drag the table onto the canvas,  the geography column does not appear. SQL code below reproduces the problem:

CREATE TABLE TEST_GEO
      (
      ID int IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,
      Geo geography
      )

INSERT INTO TEST_GEO (Geo) VALUES(
      geography::Point (-73.82674053790069, 40.768636084453945, 4269))

When I drag TEST_GEO onto canvas "Geo" column does not appear.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Cannot access MS Sql Geography data
          Sarah Battersby

Hi Michael,

Running the SQL that you provided results in a table that works fine for me in 2018.2.  Are you seeing any errors in Tableau? In SQL Server can you check to make sure the geometry that you have is valid, has SRID assigned, etc.? 

But, assuming that your table was generated using the same code you pasted into your question above, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work since it is working for me in 2018.2

-Sarah

Tableau Research

• 2. Re: Cannot access MS Sql Geography data
            Michael Porter

hmmm. If the above code worked for you all should be fine on the database side. Given same version of Tableau, this leaves the driver as the culprit? What version of SQL server are you running? I created my datasource using connection to "Microsoft SQL Server". Any way to know what driver it's using?

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Cannot access MS Sql Geography data
              Sarah Battersby

I’m using SQL Server Express 14.0.1000

As for knowing what driver is being used, I’m sorry that I don’t have a clue… I mostly deal with SQL Server when forced ☺

You could check the driver download page<https://www.tableau.com/support/drivers> to see if there is a new driver for your version of SQL Server.    Maybe the difference is that I was using a fresh install of 2018.2 with whatever recent updates would have come out.

-Sarah.