3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2018 10:31 AM by Dan Cory

HELP! Tableau 2018.2 adding dimensions and measures that don't exist in source

Cynthia Derksen

I have no idea what is going or how to report this so please advice, forward.   NONE of those fields exist.  This workbook is attached to an excel source of 1100 rows and 12 columns.  I converted the excel to CSV and it is still goofing up.  Real quick here is what I have done.

1. I have downloaded my old workbook from our server and reattached it to the original data source.  It stalled trying to connect.
      2. I copied the excel to a new excel workbook.  Still stalled trying to connect.
      3. I copied again to excel and saved as a csv.  Connection successful. 
      4. Next. I will pull my data into access and try that. 
      5. I have requested our IS department re-install tableau then re upgrade. ( I thought about not upgrading but then I wouldn't be able to open my workbooks already converted to 2018)

• 1. Re: HELP! Tableau 2018.2 adding dimensions and measures that don't exist in source
          Dan Cory

When Tableau reads the Excel file, it thinks there is data out in some very high number column. Hard to believe that converting the file to CSV didn't fix the problem, unless the CSV also had more than the 12 columns.

There are several possible solutions:

1. Hide the extra columns.

2. Use the "Data Interpreter" feature in Tableau. It can probably figure out the problem and skip the extra columns.

3. Go into Excel and delete all columns past the end of your data. The "Go to Special" dialog also has a choice for "Last Cell" that you might find useful. Resave the file. Reconnect in Tableau.

Dan

• 2. Re: HELP! Tableau 2018.2 adding dimensions and measures that don't exist in source
            Cynthia Derksen

Hey Dan,

I deleted all columns and rows outside of my data.  I know that sometimes a space can goof up the mix out there in ZZ land.

I still don't know what went wrong but I believe it is with the 2018.2 version.

I relaunched 2018.1 and opened the workbook and no problems existed.

I do not want to change to using the data interpreter because I have over 600 workbooks that I have built.

I believe this is a possible version problem.  I was able to reconnect to the CSV saved version and my data-flowed perfectly in 2018.1 version.

2018.2 It didn't work.  I don't recall when I upgraded from 2018.1 to 2018.2.  I wonder if I got some partial install hick-up or something.  I have noticed

that connect to my data is very slow each time.

Our main public server is 10.2 and to be upgraded soon so, I can't use an extract.  I wish we had a choice in extract types as for now, we aren't able to uploaded the hyper extracts.

• 3. Re: HELP! Tableau 2018.2 adding dimensions and measures that don't exist in source
              Dan Cory

Cynthia -

If it's a 2018.1 vs. 2018.2 issue, then I would contact support. Or you can email me the file and I'll have a look.

Dan