1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 20, 2018 7:53 AM by Joe Oppelt

Auditing Table Calculations

Russell Warden

Hello!

In Tableau, I have written a formula to show data in all relevant bins and then blanks in bins that are not relevant (have yet to occur).

And the formula was working perfectly up until a few days ago (I don't know what changed).

Now, there is one situation in which it doesn't.  For year 2018, the null never occurs and the calculation displays until the end of the bins.  But if I break year 2018 into quarters, the null starts to occur and each individual quarter behaves as expected.

I am not looking for help fixing the formula (yet!).  What I am curious is how do experienced users debug an issue in the table calculation like this?

When I've tried looking, I just find threads asking for a feature to audit formulas in Tableau.  While that would be nice, I'm trying to learn how to use currently existing features.

Currently I'm duplicating as cross tab and playing with the numbers to see if I can figure it out.  Is that the best way?

Please help!!! 

• 1. Re: Auditing Table Calculations
          Joe Oppelt

My favorite trick to figuring out what's happening in my table calcs is to make sure I'm "walking" the table in the order I expect.

To see this, create this calc:

// index

INDEX()

That's it.  Just INDEX.  Put that on your labels shelf.  Set the table calc settings the same as the one you are trying to debug.  (Table(across)?  Table(down)?  Etc.)  See what your 1-through-N values are.  If it's not walking the table the way you expect, modify the table settings on INDEX until it does what you are expecting.  When you get it right, that's the setting you should make on your actual table calc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful