1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 17, 2018 2:14 PM by Jim Dehner

10 customer, multiple visits

Jonathan Tunner

I have a database of customers for a retail shop.  Each customer has a unique ID.  Every time the customer visits, the ID is recorded along with other data such as amount spent, etc.  I am using an LOD expression in Tableau to come up with a unique ID count.  Let's call this the  Unique ID table.  I will then be uploading this Unique ID data, enriching it with other data from another source (demographic), and then bringing it back into Tableau.  By way of example, I might have 10,000 customers, but 50,000 visits amongst them.  If I use an LOD expression the create a table with only the unique ID's, enrich the data, and bring it back, I want to make sure that each instance client visits is tagged with the enriched data.  The common thread is the ID. 

My goal is to avoid loading 50,000 instances and instead load 10,000 IDs.  Is this a good approach, or should I take a different approach?  I have attached an excel file with dummy data that shows client data pre LOD expression.

As always, many thanks!

JT

• 1. Re: 10 customer, multiple visits
          Jim Dehner

Hi Jonathan

I loaded your EXCEL sheet expecting to see 1 record per client "LOD expression in Tableau to come up with a unique ID count"  this is what I saw

Understand that you want to avoid a larger data set but don't really know why - 50000 or 500,000 records isn't all that big

Putting that aside - if you join your "enriched data file" to the base data (either rolled up at some level or disaggregate) on Customer ID

the enriched data will be tied to each customer record in the d/b

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.